1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LuxLuxray, Mar 6, 2015.

1. LuxLuxray

LuxLuxray Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2015
    My australorp cannot walk as of last year when she had mites in her legs, but she got treated. Today she won't drink. It's very hot where I am and she is very overheated- so I'm worried. When I got home, I picked her up to chill her off, but she spit out some saliva. She's not eating her usual food, just bread. As I said, she refuses to drink, so I hand gave her some water. Does anyone know why? Thanks.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    It is a very sad situation you are in. This may be her last days. Is the rest of your flock OK ??? Keep her away if you can to limit the chances of others catching whatever it is.
    Genuine sorrow :(

3. LuxLuxray

Jan 31, 2015
    Thank you for the advice. This is very sad news, because she is my families favorite chicken. She's usually kept away from the others. This is kind of what happened right before my Barred Rock died. I have no idea what she had, but she passed away quickly.

4. Bocktobery 10

Bocktobery 10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Does her comb look shriveled and dry? This would be a sign of dehydration.

5. LuxLuxray

Jan 31, 2015
    No, her waddle is healthy red, it doesn't look shriveled at the least, though she's panting a bit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    How is her crop? Have you been checking it? Is is squishy, hard... ? What does it feel like?

7. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Does she have a fowl smell from her mouth, bad breath I mean?

8. Bocktobery 10

Oct 8, 2010
    Have you tried giving her a soak in some cooler water? If she is overheated, this might help, BUT DO NOT DO IT SUDDENLY- like, don't dunk her in icy cold water... this will really screw her up if you do this, even if its is just a bit too cold. Start with lukewarm to cool... nothing drastic. I learned this by mistake and almost killed my small hen by doing just that when she was having signs of heat stroke. She's ok now, but it took her a whole day to get over the shock of all of it.

9. LuxLuxray

Jan 31, 2015
    Her crop is squishy, and her breath is that bad. She just started drinking a bit of water but stopped after I put a baggie of ice on her back and feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by