PLEASE HELP!!!

brotchicks

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2015
NY
We had 3 chickens, and then the smallest died. Then this morning we had another loss. Now we may give the last to someone else but right now she isn't doing too good. She has no apparent injuries but she isn't moving much and she is closing her eyes a lot. She always eats out of our hands but isn't now. Is she just scared and tired because she just watched her sister get eaten and probably didn't sleep at all last night. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, brotchicks

How old are they? Are they outdoors? Did they come from a hatchery or feed store, or someone else's flock?

I'm confused. Are you losing birds to illness or to predators? You stated "watched her sister get eaten" so I'm thinking it was to a predator attack. If so, your remaining bird could be extremely stressed or in shock. If it were me, I'd move her inside to a quiet, dark, warm, comfy location like in a dog crate in an unused room or basement. I'd leave her with some feed and provide water with electrolytes in it. I'd cover one end of the crate or give her a box for her to settle in if she wanted to. I would also check her over just to make sure she doesn't have any injuries of her own. Then I'd predator proof your coop so she doesn't end up falling victim like her flock mates did.

They came from a friends house when they were 2 weeks. @Judy they are about 1 year old. The issue is with the only one we have left. The others we lost to predators. But now the one that is alone just seems depressed and we don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Ok so we brought her in and are taking care of her. But she has cuts and injuries on her wing and neck. Let's hope she does ok

Ah. Chickens are flock animals, and yes, they do seem to be depressed in that situation. She needs more chicken friends. The good news is they are remarkably resilient to injuries and ccan heal up in a week or two from what looks very serious.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom