PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Butler68, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Butler68

Butler68 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    My eggs.are at 19 days bur i hear chripping coming out of eggs. Whicn is great but i habe no choice but to go work 8 hours tonight. If my babies were to hatcj while i was gone can babys be in incubator from 4 to 6 hours without me being there to water and feed them while at work??? im just afraid they may die before i make it.home before. It will be 4 to 6 hours beforeni get home to see if they made it. Im very worried. Please:help!!!!

2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    They don't need to eat for a few days, so relax. They'll need to rest and dry off more than they'll need food and water. Peeping sounds coming from the eggs don't mean they are going to hatch in just a few more minutes and you said you are day 19, so it should be just fine.

3. Butler68

Butler68 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Ok thats alot! I was Just really worried. its my first hatch. Thank you so much

4. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like your going to be a proud parent of some chickens when you get home [​IMG] Just make sure your humidity is going to be good until you get back.

5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    It can be nerve wracking. I'm very neurotic, but some things to remember......Since it's day 19, even if you hear peeps it could well be another 1, if not 2 days before any chicks make it out. Even when you see that first pip it can still be another 12 hours or more until the chick makes its appearance. Once they zip it can take a while or it can be really fast (like 15 minutes) so there is no telling.
    Once a baby makes it out don't be in a hurry to get them out of the incubator right away. If others are pipping and hatching you may lower the humidity too much. It's best to leave the incubator locked down until the hatch is complete and all are dry before removing them to the brooder which has been prepared. Then they can stay warm, eat and drink. I feel better leaving them in until either all are hatched or 24 hours has passed and I see no new pips. Now my husband is the one who wants to get them out.
    The first time I was such a Nervous Nellie hovering around my husband dragged me out to dinner to get me out of the house. When we got back there were still no babies. The first arrived very late that night and then they were popping out all over. The first pips had started before I got up that morning.
    So relax and enjoy, and have your beverage of choice if necessary.

6. Butler68

Butler68 New Egg

Aug 6, 2014
    Ok thank you. yea having beverage and relaxing aftrr work sounds good to me. Haha. Just curious tho. Thank ypu for ypur information!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by