1. ChickenMan842

ChickenMan842 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2015
    senoia ga
    I have 5 hens and 1 rooster in the coop and a few days ago I noticed 1 of my hens was coughing and and sounds like she has something in her throat. She laid a egg that was soft and mushy and not fully formed. I took her out of the coop and put her in my hospital pen. Tractor supply recommended vet rx to put in her water. I have to put the drops in her mouth cause she will not eat or drink. And today I noticed another hen coughing just not as bad. But I separated her as well. What do I need to do? Is there something else I need to give them and the rest? I really don't want to loose my girls. They look so pitiful. It's heart breaking.

2. MrShax

MrShax Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    My Coop
    Hi

Have you de-wormed you're hens?

if not it could possibly be that they have worms, you need to buy a product called FLUBENVET there is a powder source of the product or you can buy a pack of layerpellets which has flubenvet mixed in it already.

type in Flubenvet Layers Pellets 20kg on ebay. or you can buy the powder product on

http://www.medicines4pets.co.uk

All the best.

3. ChickenMan842

Mar 22, 2015
    senoia ga
    I check the poop on a regular basis because I use it for fertilizer. But I have not seen any worms. I do not know if they have been de wormed or not because the 2 that are sick I bought at a year old about a month and a half ago.

4. MrShax

MrShax Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2014
    United Kingdom
    My Coop
    sometimes you cant tell in the poop if there is worms, my flock had the same problem as yours they kept making coughing noises and kepts twitching their necks up high like how humans burp lol

so i got advised to give them some flubentvet by the vets and they provided me with the powder and i gave it to my flock by mixing it with their mixed corn and layer pellets and after the recommended usage they were fine and it all went away.

5. ChickenMan842

Mar 22, 2015
    senoia ga
    I will try it your advise is greatly appreciated I'm willing to try anything that will save my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by