Please Hold My Hand

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RepoBob, Feb 3, 2008.

1. RepoBob

RepoBob Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    A friend brought over his HovABator 1602N Still Air Incubator today [​IMG]

I have 36 eggs I've collected over the past 7 days. I have them stored in eggs cartons, and each day I have been raising one side of the carton about 2" switching each day. I have the incubator holding at 99.5 Humidity at 58. Thats where I am at.

I have seen a post about keeping your eggs in the carton while they are in the incubator I'm not sure I have it right. Do I cut the bottom off the egg carton so that the bottom (pointy side) of the egg touches the screen and completely cut off the lid? It kinda acts as a stand for the eggs. I am putting that rubbermaid shelve lining on top of the screen.

Instead of opening the bator to turn eggs can I put one side of the incubator up about three inches and switch 3 to 5 times a day?

Will be getting a water wessel tomorrow, what should that temp be?

Thanks you so much. I want this right.

Bob

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  2. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    from what i hear, you should never incubate eggs in the carton. i think its because the chick might pip on the wrong end and get stuck between the egg and the carton walls..

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, Bob, you can do it that way. You cut off the bottom so the air can flow through and around the eggs. The Hova has tiny holes all around the bottom edge so you really can't tilt it that much or the water will leak out the holes. The temp in the water weasel if placed on the screen should be 99.5-100, but at the top of the eggs, the air temp should be 101-102 in a still air bator. That's because the air temp as you get to the screen level will be lower by nature. I've never used a still air and they talk about air temp at the top of the eggs being about 102, but the lower part of the eggs will be cooler than the top (hot air naturally rises, as you know). At screen level, the bottom of the eggs, I'd say if you keep the weasel at 100 even, you'll do well. Maybe someone who uses a still air with a water weasel can comment.
    Naturally, you will remove them from the carton at 18 days and place them on their sides.

4. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    And could someone back me up when I say that 58% for the first 18 days is too high. I think you want it between 40 and 50% and then on day 18 raise it too 60-70%.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Sorry, Suz, I completely missed that. Yes, she is right. 50% is as high as it needs to go the first 18 days, then up it to 65-70% the last three.

6. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Bawkadoodledoo , I should have mentioned that I have plans to move them to a hatcher on day 18.

speckledhen you said "The Hova has tiny holes all around the bottom edge" thats where the water leaked from when I was cleaning it. [​IMG]
    Thanks, now I know I'm on the right track.

jeaucamom... Oh, I better check. 40 to 50 would be easier, its about that in the house. Tks.

Bob

7. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

I will hold your hand........I know nothing bout incubators yet.but will have one up and running by next weekend.so you can hold my hand too [​IMG] Best of luck to you repobob

8. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    [​IMG] Thanks Cyn. 50 is much more doable. I guess I had the two confused. I thought you lowered for hatching, glad you stopped by.

Hi Oki, Thanks. I'd be glad to hold your hand. Sounds like we will be paceing the floor together too.

I guess as soon as I get the humidity down a little to 50 I'll be ready to put the eggs in. When I put them in I know the temp will drop, should I expect humidity to drop too? Or, will moisture from the egg raise the humidity and as things settle it will come back down?
    I'm way to nervous about this [​IMG]

Bob

9. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Bob
    I use still air with a weasel, and I usually do cartons. I just use the bottoms, I do not cut anything. I do exactly what you described. Tip each side back and forth.

My temps at the top of my eggs have to be 103-104 in order to get my weasel, which sets next to my eggs, to read 99.5. The temp on the wire usually reads 95. A very large gradient with still air.

Be careful you dont block the moisture with the cloth and the cartons. Maybe add the cloth when you remove the eggs from the cartons on day 18.

When you put your eggs in, the temps will drop as the heat is "absorbed" by the eggs. Try not to touch the dial then since in a day or so, it will spike back up when the eggs are all warmed up.

Good luck.

10. RepoBob

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks Tiffany, that makes me feel better. I put a paper towel in the water resiviour, Im thinking that might help with any spilage. I'll just keep the towel damp.If that causes me to open to add water to often I can snake an aquarium air house in there and fill it with a syringe. I really don't want to have to turn the eggs by hand. Knowing me breakage will be a real problem. [​IMG]

My temps are right at 102 just above the eggs, sensor on the screen is 99.4. Humidity is at 47. I watched and the thermostat cycled so I believe it holding. I just cut the carton and put in 18 eggs. I'm gonna watch it a while and if everything is holding I'll put the other 18 in in the morning. I'm off on another excellent adventure. [​IMG]
    IBW has officially begun for me. Only another 479 hours 57 minutes to go.

Bob

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by