Please...I need someones legal advice FAST!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Mylittleladies, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Mylittleladies

Mylittleladies New Egg

Aug 27, 2011
    I just got a letter from my township ordinance stating I have 7 days to comply, they want me to get rid of my chickens. I am in violation of my ordinance . I have 5 chickens (all hens) I have been to two planning meetings and together we are working on ammending it to allow chickens with a permit and restrictions. The planning board said they are not the committee that enforces the ordinance. So what can I do in the meantime, I don't want to have to kill my chickens, what do I do with them? I thought that if I had the ball rolling they couldn't do this to me legally? Do they need to get a court order (Warrant) for me to have to get rid of them? Don't they have to give me more than 7 days? I'm in a panic, I love my girls....I'm so sad and don't know what to do....but, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them.

2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Good luck [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    disguise them as cats..

4. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I would be honest and explain to them what you are doing with the township planning committe and see what they say. I don't understand why you would have to kill them? Worst case, try and rehome them

5. Gardeninggranny

Gardeninggranny Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Don't panic. Send a letter back saying you are trying to get the ordinance amended. Yes they will probably have to take you to court to make you remove them. You will get a ticket and one of the options on the ticket should be to go to court. If they do take you to court and the court orders you to get rid of them you can appeal, If you want to spend the money. Then tell them if you can't have chickens you'll get 5 pitbulls instead.

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] I'm hoping for the best for you. [​IMG] I have my girls illegally here as well, so I know where you are coming from.

7. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

While it may not sound like it this is a serious suggestion. Write back to them and tell them that, "Live chickens are necessary for my religious observances." Say no more. Do not elaborate. It may work or at least slow them down. It will certainly give them pause.

If they inquire for details respond thus; "My religious rights are guaranteed by The Constitution of the United States. I am not required to discuss them with any governmental entity."

Hope this helps,

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I commend your undertaking to change your local laws. However, you knew you were an "outlaw" so now you have to face the consequences that you already knew were going to be the result if you were "busted". I wish you the best of luck with changing the laws in your area. You will have to re-home your birds. I'm sure there is a farm nearby that would be glad to house your girls.[​IMG]

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I am so glad I am legal. Can you hide them in the garage? Build a temp house/run in the garage, fill it with leaves and stuff like that, block up any windows with curtains or cardboard, and turn on the lights in the AM and off in the PM, until you are legal. Work on it harder and faster. Thats what I'd do.

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    it's always better to get legal BEFORE getting the birds. Hiding them or other backdoor methods to keep them is just going to hurt your push to get them legalized.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by