Please ID For Me?

Yoda

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Shady Hills, FL
There is a farm like park one town over who does kids summer camps. They have some animals there that included 3 peafowl, one peacock and 2 hens. The park ranger wants to rebuild the bird pens to make them bigger so poultry owners have "taken" the birds til late spring. I told them I would be happy to hold the peas at my place til he gets a bigger pen build for them. I believe the peacock is a Black Shoulder Dark Pied because he is a BS with white flight feathers. The hens I believe are IB White Eye because of the frosty coloring to them. Please let me know if I am correct? I have dewormed them and given the male a shot of antibiotic because he cut up his head and the others started picking on him. I couldn't understand the first day how he cut up his head, but then figured it out when I gave him a good look over. If you look closely at the picture you will see that he is completely blind
sad.png
I believe the goats scared the hens and they all flew in panic and he flew into the net the fell into the tree stumps or the wire of the pen. He is healing nicely. He is starting to eat by listening to my tapping of the food dish (Jackson my blind Cameo also helps too) and he knows that the water is next to the food at all times. I had a hard time getting him to eat because his home had changed and what he was use to is no longer. I did call the park ranger and tell him that his peacock is blind so I do not know if he is going to want him or any of them back now?

Peacock:

Peahen 1:

Peahen 2:

Last edited:
I'm a Peafowl newb, so I can't really help ID them... But does the BS Peacock have white under his throat at all? Or just the white flights?

That poor guy looks like he's had it pretty rough...
hit.gif
That's great that you were able to get him to eat by tapping the food dish. I hope you do get to end up keeping him/them and can provide him/them a home that the poor blind guy can relax in and adjust to. Even as much of a mess he is, he's still SO pretty!

Hey Peeps, he only has white flight feathers none on the throat. I am almost positive on my IDing but just want to be 100% sure LOL

Also what would cause a bird to go blind, is he the only BS that anyone seen that is blind? BTW he was eating like a horse today, first time since I got him that he has stuffed himself LOL

I wasn't questioning you or trying to second guess you, lol, I'm just trying to learn the differences. This is my first yr with Peas, and I only have IBs... and I get all crossed up when it comes to telling the difference between pieds and split to whites ...
th.gif
Admittedly, I have a long long lonnnng way to go.

Without knowing much history on the bird you may never know why he is blind... but hopefully whatever did cause that bird's blindness is NOT contagious!

Glad he's eating better!

Beautiful boy!!! He looks spalding because the neck is green not blue, either way a shame he can't reproduce. The hens look like normal IB's, but not sure, very similar if not.

Back
Top Bottom