Please identify my Chicken's Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lhossler, Feb 8, 2014.

1. lhossler

lhossler New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Hello,
    I need some help in trying to identify a chicken I have rescued. She has a particularly long neck and runs like a "road runner'. She is yellow skin based and has a cute mohawk like muff on top.
    I would appreciate any help with her,
    Thanks
    Morgan[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She's adorable!

Are you in the US? I'm going to assume yes. If you're in Great Britain or Australia she may be some breed or mix I don't recognize right off.

She's a mixed breed hen. With the crest and beard, I'd be tempted to say silkie mix, but those usually have feathered legs, black skin and five toes. She could be mixed enough to have lost those characteristics, but I wouldn't expect to see that much beard/muffs still, either.

Do you know what color eggs she lays?

My best guess from what I can see is something like an Easter egger/Polish cross, but not sure if that cross would have the light legs she has.

I'd love to have some like her--I've gotta say the tophatted birds are kind of growing on me!

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I was also thinking Easter Egger cross, maybe with polish, or even maybe Spitzhauben.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2,definatley some strong EE influence in it

5. lhossler

lhossler New Egg

Feb 8, 2014
    Thank you so much. We live in Washington State US. Kira (her name) is not laying at this time. Since we rescued her from a neighboring neighborhood, we think she might be a little traumatized and not laying. Her vent and stool look healthy and we also keep our hens under lights during the dark seasons. We are waiting to see if she even does lay. She is fun to watch and she will always have a home with us regardless.
    So she is our project. :)

6. maxpedley

maxpedley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2013
    Personally id say no EE at all. That my friend is an appenzeller x bellgian d'ucles i would say

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    We'll she looks jut like an EE I had a few years ago minus the crest. And it looks to large to be mixed with a d,icicle. Plus it should have some little Stubbs if it was mixed with a d'uccle, considering the fact that they have feathered legs.

8. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    NOt always will it have a little stubbs. The muffs and much of the colouring is like a millie belgian d ucles

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Ok......Easter eggers have beards too. (Feather legs dominate trait). Anyways the OP seems happy with their chicken. I have no further comments. :)

10. maxpedley

Dec 31, 2013
    I know that ees have beards but its just the colour of the bird is like a belgian. It dosent have to be an f1 cross meaning that the dominant feather legs might not be in this birds genes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by