Please identify pictures - golden red bloody stool

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by john14six, Mar 20, 2012.

1. john14six

john14six Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    Hi,
    We have a golden red that has a bloody behind. My daughter found her with dried blood. As my daughter was cleaning her up this stuff was coming out of her. I took a picture to try and identify it. The picture shows what came out and one more strand maybe on her feathers. but that was all that came out.

No other symptoms or behavior issues. Still eating fine, walking around ok. No other signs that we can see.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    do we have anything to worry about?
    any ideas?

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Not sure on this one.... Humm... How old is your hen and when did she lay last...

4. john14six

Jun 2, 2010
    I think she's about 3 or 4 years.
    We are not sure when she laid last. We have 17 chickens. but only 1 of her kind.
    But we think she has laid recently because the kids can identify the eggs. We might have a couple of her eggs in the fridge now.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Has she been wormed at all? If not I'd worm with Safeguard.... Just to be on the safe side... But she may have laid an egg and had some trouble. Sometimes you find eggs with blood on them. If an egg got somewhat stuck, then broke loose it may have loosened some blood along with it... And she passed it. I'd keep an eye on her and see if she produces any more blood. I'd be careful about her being around the others, as if she bleeds they may pick at her until it worsens or they kill her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by