PLEASE??? IDENTIFY??? Rooster has a LARGE HARD MASS growing behind his ear...PHOTO!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Bella-Baloo, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Bella-Baloo

Bella-Baloo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

Can ANYONE Identify what this could be?
    Started out about nickel sized and flat Treated him for Lice & mites. This just keeps growing now he is having problems with equilibrium... but he eats and drinks good. I have treated him with Duramycin a couple of times since June & also Ivermectin for lice/mites
    . I even tried pure olive oil poured directly on this to help soften for removal to NO Avail.
    Him and another rooster fought and the other Rooster caused this to start bleeding where it is attached to his skin. I treated him with Stiptic Powder to stop the Bleeding Successfully and pulled the other rooster so no more damage/harm to him.
    I am at my wits end here??? Please Help?
    This is hard as a bone and it also goes across his neck? It protrudes 3" or more from the side of his head.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have never treated an ear infection, but that is the worst I have seen pictures of. Underneath all of that swelling is probably a mass of solid hard pus. In a recent thread someone pulled the mass off, and treated with amoxicillin. Clavomox has also been used. Penicillinshots may be effective. Are there any respiratory symptoms or a swollen eye? Here is a picture of the thread like yours: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/831156/really-nasty-ear-infection-in-a-silkie-hen-graphic-pics

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you for answering and for the warm welcome!
    If that is an ear infection why didn't the antibiotic work in the early stages of this? HMMM
    What cause's ear infections?
    I also put Neosporin Daily for about 14 days after I used plain Vaseline 14 days, when this was only the size of a nickel then, to try and soften/remove this thing but It started Bleeding around the edges and I was afraid if it was a Tumor and I pulled it off he would bleed to death since they are feed by blood vessel's.
    ALSO... you can't see it in the photo but it also goes across his neck and is a very "uneven edge " like a skin cancer so it isn't just on his ear, that was just the worst part so I posted that pic
    . I am going to feel just HORRIBLE if that's all it is...an Ear infection.
    He has had this since May. I feel sooo Bad, I have asked EVERYONE I KNOW and then someone suggested asking on here.
    I guess I'll try and remove the thing & hope and pray he doesn't Die from blood loss, He is such a good Boy and I've had him 4 years his name is Merle. Say a prayer for us & thank you for helping me!

4. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    Also...no respiratory with this and there was some swelling of the skin around the eye although he has HUGE beautiful eyes
    . I am wondering if this didn't come from lice because I had a few birds in the flock that had them but treated everyone ( ivermectin drops ) and cleaned coop and soaked the walls floors with Permectrin II let the coop dry all day and put DE down and clean shavings of course. THAT is when I first noticed this on him.

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Wow, that looks pretty major! I don't want to tell you to try to take it off because if he does bleed to death, we're both going to feel pretty bad!

This is what I would try first -

Can you unroof it? What that means is to remove a piece on the surface rather than attack it at the base where it meets the skin. If you can take a piece off and get to the inside, that might be the easiest way to go. There may not be blood vessels inside. I would take as much off as possible without trying to remove it from the skin where it is bleeding. Try to make a hole inside the mass. Wash it out with warm water and betadine. Vetericyn is also good for washout. Mix a paste with betadine and sugar and pack the hole that you made on unroofing the mass. If you can bandage it in any way, then try to do that. Sugar is wonderful for drawing "stuff" out and the betadine will help disinfect. Do this every day and see if it starts to get smaller.

As Eggcessive said, a shot of penicillin might work wonders. If you can't get that, Fish Mox is amoxicillin in capsule form and can be sprinkled on a favorite treat.

I'm not a doctor, but I did have a major growth on one of my hens last summer. I cleaned it out daily and watched it disappear in about two weeks' time.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  6. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    Thank you sooo much! I just am HEARTBROKEN because I have tried everything from Vaseline ...at the very beginning of this to try and remove it 14 days faithfully and then 14 days of Neosporin and this thing just acted like it was FEEDING off anything I have tried! UUUGHHH!!!
    It grew leaps and bounds in the first 60 days ( he has had this since MAY ) I know the antibiotics probably keep him going but I was afraid I'd kill him with TOO MUCH MEDS does that make sense?
    I am going out this morning to get him and bring him in the House... I am going to Bathe him and soak that thing for an HOUR and just try and remove it Completely ( Dear Lord be with my attempt... I am in Tears at this point ) I can pack it with flour if it bleeds until it clots ( because it is so big I can have a cup of flour ready at least...again I am guessing here )
    I do have Tylan 50 injectable although, I would just use it in his water if that is an option???
    ( I have heard/read this is hard on the gut though and didn't want to CREATE another problem Please Advise????
    I have Neosporin too and I am tempted to try a bandage.
    I have POVIDONE IODINE ( PLEASE ADVISE???? will this burn him using FULL STRENGTH??? ) SHOULD I DILUTE???
    I Have Duramycin 10 water soluble
    This could have started out from mites/lice I am thinking and from reading other posts on here.
    At this rate he isn't going to make it.... IT'S COLD HERE although he is in a heated coop, I MUST make a move and TRY AGAIN
    ANY TIPS ADVISE is more than appreciated!!!
    Please Pray for me & Merle ~

7. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    We tried cutting into the top of it but because it is Sooo Hard it pulls it at the base and caused him to scream and of course it bled & began growing days after?
    So we haven't tried that anymore.
    I KNOW it doesn't look like it... but I have been Treating him for months, but now it's sooo big his head is off balance and this is affecting him He is a Gentle Boy.
    My Vet doesn't treat chickens :(

8. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    I would try and locate a vet that will remove this growth. It will keep growing if not removed,could be a cyst,tumor or wart(Papillomatosis-benign warts on non-feathered areas)usually frozen off or surgically removed.
    I realize you cut into it,but have you tried piercing it with a needle and see if it will drain?

9. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PHOTO #1 His Ear Hole is Clean & Clear ( DO not think it is ear infection )
    PHOTO # 2 I discovered another mass under his chin about nickel sized UGH!
    PHOTO # 3 Looking from behind his head at bath/soaking time today This thing is HUGE Poor baby!
    PHOTO # 4 NOTICE the yellow follicle under my thumb??? When bathing him it came right out leaving a huge Hole ( next pic )
    Photo # 5 Follicle Hole
    Photo # 7 NASTY thick yellow corrosion on follicle???
    I am beginning to this this is some form of SKIN Infection ??? PLEASE ADVISE

10. Bella-Baloo

Aug 11, 2011
    SO... I ended up soaking him and continually pouring water on this for an Hour, Again,,, to No Avail!!!
    Tried cutting off the tip It just wont /cannot be cut.
    I am waiting for my husband to get home and we are going to attempt cutting it with Pruning shears? We have tried Box Knife Blade before as well...didn't work.
    Maybe if I can get half of it off I can pour the Iodine & sugar pack mixture...I'll try ANYTHING once!
    The closest Aviary Vet would be over 100 miles so this just isn't an option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by