Please Identify this Chicken Who Showed Up in My Yard

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by karmalaw, Jun 15, 2011.

1. karmalaw

karmalaw Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    She's been hanging around for almost a week now - she now clucks a little when she sees me (ha -- she knows I'm an easy mark for food), and comes over to me -- but not enough for me to catch her yet. I'm worried that cats or stray dogs will get her (at least I think she's a her -- maybe he's not?)... so I'm about to be an inadvertant chicken owner....

[​IMG]

She's quite small -- looks larger in the photo....

what is she.. and how do I catch her?

2. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    She looks like an old English game bantam.

3. karmalaw

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Is this a good thing?

4. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Sure, Shes beautiful

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I think she might be an Old English Game Bantam Hen. She probably is a decent flier for a chicken and might roost in one of your trees over night.

You might want to check if anyone in the area is missing a hen.

If you want to catch her make sure she associates you more with food than with chasing. Of course you should have an idea of what you actually want to do with her before you try to catch her.

6. karmalaw

Jun 15, 2011
    so... how do I go about catching her.... (or should I -- but there are plenty of cats and dogs running loose around here -- as well as hungry people -- she's in the front yard).. and what can I house her in temporarily? I do have a large dog crate.. or is there is backyard farmer in Miami, Florida area who would take care of her? I've gotten attached -- funny how that happens... so I'd hate to see her end up fried any time soon...

The only neighbor that I know of that has chickens tends to sacrifice them.. so I'm not keen on asking if she is theirs....they'd say yes even if she wasn't and she'll end up in the crossroads...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:You shouldn't be worried about the cats, but the dogs, yeah, they are a common issue with chickens. Keep giving her food until she begins to trust you enough to come closer. You might have to be quick and when she comes within arm's reach, grab her around her body, NOT by the wings/tail, just two hands gripping her and keeping her firm. She probably won't be happy with that though. [​IMG]

Dog crates work fine, but I would try very hard (not sure what your housing arrangements are) to not keep her outside. That'll make her a sitting duck for any predator who'd want to have her. And I've had many a pred bend the wiring of a dog crate. Do you have an place where you can keep her safe?

If you don't want her, and you do catch her, there's a Buy/Sell area toward the bottom of the forum index. If you want to keep her, you should! Chickens are awesome animals. They can make awesome pets and she looks like a healthy girlie. I'd catch her ASAP so someone else does not!

Best of luck! [​IMG]

Oh, and [​IMG]

8. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    A dog crate can work well for temporary housing. At my home, the chicken infirmary consists of a dog crate lined with some cardboard and some bedding, I use wood shavings, but shredded paper works, too. I put it in my garage.

Take your time gaining her trust. I have Old English Game Chickens that were free ranging that I wanted to put in an aviary. They were used to getting treats from me, so I coaxed them into the garage by throwing treats close to the garage then finally in the garage. If she seems really comfortable running after the treats you could try trowing them in the dog crate and see if she goes on her own. She will probably be too wary for that so once she is in the garage, (or shed) the next step is to close the door before she freaks out and runs out. It might help to have some friends help out. They can help block the exit with a long handled broom or maybe even better a bed sheet in case she tries to fly out. Just a warning, I managed to get 6 of 8 chickens in my garage and the other 2 learned to avoid the garage after that. It took me another month to catch those 2 hens!

Any how, once I got my chickens in the garage, I had my flashlight handy. I turned off the lights, because chickens have worse night vision than us. They put up a ruckus because they feel helpless in the dark. I came up behind them one by one and firmly picked them up. They flapped but did not try to bite or anything. Since you are not used to picking up chickens you may want to use a towel or a scrap fabric so that you can secure it around her. She will probably struggle some and scream bloody murder. Put her in the dog crate, turn on the light and apologize to her by giving her a treat.

That's how I did it. If you don't have a garage or shed we will have to figure out something else.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yup yup that's a cute little Game Hen. You probably won't be able to convince her to let you pick her up, Game Hens are usually too sassy for that.

She will [​IMG] be in your trees at some point, especially at night. I'd recommend waiting till after dark, then using a flashlight to inspect your trees. She'll be there for sure. I don't want to recommend climbing a ladder in the dark to anyone, but if you can't rig up a live trap for her, that might be your only option.

On the other hand, you could dry the old fruit crate propped up on a stick with a string on it. Put some food under the crate and hide and wait. She walks in for food, you pull the string, and voila! It's the only thing I've ever seen on Looney Toons that actually works in real life too [​IMG]

10. scratch'n'peck

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes this breed is pretty independent and fast! I had a hand raised hen of this breed who I could pick up, but I inherited a bunch of others that free ranged and roosted in my trees. Some of them would fly branch to branch so high up that even a tall latter wouldn't reach. Chickens kind of go into a stupor state when they are sleeping on their roost so they are easier to catch then if they are within your reach.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by