please ignore....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Apr 29, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just found my little chabo frizzle in such a state....i dont know if its too late to save him or not but thought id give it a try. he wasfine yesterday, running around strutting his stuff. and i just found him half an hour ago ike this...(pics will saymore than i can)

he's cold, hunched up, combis going black and has flopped over. eyes closed,tail flat and a HUGE lump on his chest (tried to photograph it but because of the frizz you cant see it so well) i think it may be a full crop but unsure, its solid rock and ball sized!

ive put him under a heat lamp to try and warm him up but im not holding out much hope....what could cause such a drastic change in 24 hours?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  2. codymax2

codymax2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Liverpool, NY
    eek! Poor guy? Impacted crop?maybe! sorry I'm not much help but maybe a bump will help you!

3. definetlydeb

definetlydeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    Tioga/Potter County
    Awwh, that poor thing....here's another bump hoping you get the info you need!!!!

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Maybe he has an impacted crop. I would try to put him in a brooder situation to warm him up. I am not sure how you would empty his crop, maybe gently massage upwards? I have not had this happen before. Has his diet changed? Does he have access to grit? I am no expert, but I wish you luck.

5. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    What's his poop look like?

6. Bengalcats1

Bengalcats1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I would look into the emergency section about inpacted crop, Ive seen many posts on how to help it, might find some help there

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Yeah, I just looked in the emergency section, lots of good info there. Search impacted crop. Good luck.

8. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Start by warming him up! Gently blow a hair dryer, even.

Offer WARM water, laced with sugar or molasses.

As he warms, if you can get him to drink warm energy fluids by dipping his beak (not nostrils), then you can examine him.

If you can't get him warm and perkier, it doesn't matter to him what else you find wrong . . .

9. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    just went back in with a hairdryer but he'd already gone [​IMG] RIP little fuzzball.
    i opened up the crop to have a quick peek and it was full full full, you couldnt have got another grain in there. would a crop impaction kill in less than 24 hours? he was fine this time yesterday [​IMG] maybe cause he's so small..? but i dont understand the black and flopped over comb.....

10. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Looks like he got too cold to me, vitamins, electrolytes and heat asap!

Oops, I was posting same time as you did... sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by