Please just tell me about this EE

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by marypcoleman, May 31, 2016.

1. marypcoleman

marypcoleman Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is my 14 week old black and white EE next to what I believe is a brown EE hen. I have read a lot on this site. It is a rooster, right? If so I have to try to give him away. He is massive. Thank you

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I'd guess rooster

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Looks like a cockerel, but they say you never know until it crows. Are they the same age?

4. marypcoleman

Feb 14, 2016
    Yes. They arrived as a group of five but my Barred Rock and a different EE died early on.

5. EggSighted4Life

Hopefully you'll get some more experienced input. I wouldn't get rid of it until I knew for sure. So you still have 3 chickens now including the 1 in question?

6. marypcoleman

Feb 14, 2016
    These two survived out of the five. Hardy chickens that they are. I did get a Golden Comet and Rhode Island chick about five weeks ago. I keep them separated until they get bigger.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's a cockerel, sorry.

8. marypcoleman

Feb 14, 2016
    I figured as much as reading on here. It is still difficult to hear for some reason. He was sold as a she chick but I guess that happens. I read here that EEs are difficult to sex. Maybe it is better to steer clear of this breed for that reason. Thank you

9. EggSighted4Life

Actually mix ups happen at the feed store all the time. And sexing from what I've seen is only about 95% accurate. So it could happen in any breed. I wouldn't let THAT be reason you choose not to keep EE's. I have many breeds, and they are pretty good. I just wanted to make sure your other girl wasn't going to be alone. [​IMG]

Good luck!

10. marypcoleman

Feb 14, 2016
    No worries there. That is what also makes this so hard. They have been through stuff together..survival being the most important. I am looking at other hens but will have to separate for awhile I know. The other two are almost ready to be put with the EE hen. I will wait until I find a home for Glory. That might take a bit. Thanks for your concern for the chickens. I have grown to care about them more than I thought I would.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by