Please keep Penny in your prayers

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Cara, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    My Bloodhound puppy got bitten by a Diamondback this evening while out walking, and is having to stay at the vet's tonight. Luckily it only happened 5-10 minutes before I saw the swelling, but the vet is an hour away from us. Last summer my old Bloodhound and my Lab mix got bitten in our yard one night. It seems like I just can't win [​IMG] I took Penny for snake-proofing a couple of months ago, and she was due to have a rattlesnake vaccine on Friday. Please keep her in your prayers, she means so much to us.

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Best wishes and prayers for your pup. Let us know how she is doing. [​IMG]

3. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    Awh honey, i'm praying for the little girl.

As Redfeathers said, keep us updated.

4. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    [​IMG] so sorry about you dog. we don't have those kind of snakes here, just copper heads. I hope she pulls through ok. I didn't know they had snake vaccines. how does that work, once a year?

5. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    It's two rounds of shots, one four - six weeks after the other, and then a yearly booster. If your dog gets bitten, it will still need emergency treatment but the vaccine is supposed to limit the effects of the venom.

6. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    So sorry.....Heres hoping for the best. Let us know how she is doing! We really get close to our pets!

7. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    When I was a little girl I had a german shephard that saved me from a rattle snake. He was bitten in the process. My Daddy didn't really believe in vets, so he didn't take him, but that dog lived anyway. Daddy would put tobacco juice, or some such crazy thing on it, I really don't think it helped. He had a big nasty wound on his neck for the longest time, but he slowly healed.

I'll be thinking of you and Penny. I'm sure she will be fine, the vet is bound to have something better than tobacco juice to give her [​IMG]

8. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Thanks for your good wishes. I hope my precious puppy (all 83lbs!) doesn't get too bad a scar from this ordeal. My Labradork looks all tough with two fang marks on the top of her nose, and my old Bloodhound lost a jowl on one side.

Are guineas really that effective at warning of/scaring off snakes? My husband and I are paranoid about me going into my chicken barns now. Last summer we shot three rattlesnakes in a week on our front porch :|

9. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Our Burmese Mtn dog, Boboli was bit. I had come home from Jazzercise and saw he was limping but thought he must have had fox tails in between his toes like he often did. I had to run to the grocery store and told him I would be back soon. When I came back he was barely alive. I drug him to the car and heaved him in and flew to the vet. He barely lived. That was 12 years ago and I still can't think about it without feeling horrible and getting all teary.

I am praying your baby recovers well and quickly. Blessings, Suz

10. Cara

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I feel bad for our other dogs, they lost their friend in September and they are whining and pacing looking for her. I can't explain to them that she'll be back.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by