1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please keep us in your thoughts... We had to put one of horses down...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ThreeBoysChicks, May 13, 2009.

1. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    This morning when I got up, Duncan our 25+ year horse was acting very strange. Our vet has been here all day. She discovered that he had a major impaction in his small intestines. She tried everything. Our 2 choices were very costly surgery or to euthanize him. She tried all kinds of pain meds and could not control his pain. Given his age and the seriousness of the situation, I opted to have him euthanized. So you have a 42 year old man, crying like a baby. My kids will not know until they get home from school. His storey is that he was a retired ranch horse from the mid-west that we purchased to allow him to live out his life. Anyone could ride him and he was a true gentlemen. I know some people would say he was just a horse, but he was a great horse that would let anyone ride him, pet him or take care of him. Even in his death, he was a gentleman. In all of his pain and all that the vet did to him, he was never unruly.
    Good bye Sweet Duncan......

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]

3. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    He was a beautiful boy! I'm sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I"m so sorry for your loss, he as beautiful. I've had to put horses down also, it is always so hard to do. We just had to put a 21yr old mare down , she broke her shoulder. I raised her from a baby, owned her dam and granddam. It just break your heart. A big hug coming your way.

5. RedStickLA

RedStickLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    South Louisiana
    [​IMG]

He was Beautiful! I am sorry for you loss.
    [​IMG] Mitzi

6. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    he sounds like suck a nice guy, im sorry [​IMG]

7. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Ah, Duncan, you were loved. Please pass along my love to Shyann and Skye. I lost them last year and it still hurts. Shyann was 39.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    [​IMG] I'm sorry, my friend right up the street lost her 33yr old stud over the weekend to something very similar.

9. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Ed, what a handsome fella, I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

10. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have never owned a horse but hear that they are like a big dog. And I have ut down a much loved dog.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by