1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please let me know what these cute lil 4wk olds are!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by augiedranch, Mar 31, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG]

"abagale" i think is a ameracauana. m/f? if yall see others in the background let me know on them too.

[​IMG]

"rudy" i think rhode island red.. am i a boy? momma wants me to be a boy! lol

the other one is ameracauana i think. her names either diamond or chunky monkey.. they look the same from the front to me.

thanks guys!!

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    1st pic looks like an Easter egger and a Black Australorp. The EE looks like a pullet. The BA looks like a boy.

2nd pic looks like a RIR or Red Sexlink and another EE (both look like pullets).

Jody

3. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    thank you! very helpful

4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    girl/boy
    ?/girl
    a side view of the red bird would be easier....i can't tell if there are waddles are not...that's how I always tell...the comb throws me alot.

5. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    where are wattles located? what should i be looking for in wattles? thanks! im new to this![​IMG]

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:The wattles are the little red things that hang down below the beak, look at the black chick you can clearly see them on him. [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    The black one looks like an australorp and the 'red' looks like my new hampshire red (a cross between RIR and Star)...here is her pic...

Maggie:
    [​IMG]

here are my australorps at 11 days ... two black and whites in the top left corner...

[​IMG]

8. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    ohmygosh! they look just like mine did at that age~ wow~~!! this whole time i thought i had a rir! i really wanted a rir! darn! lol! what do i need to expect with .. did u say hampshire reds? thank you very much. you have beautiful babies:)

9. augiedranch

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    you said a cross between a rir and a star... whats a star? lol
    thanks again

10. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Here is some info on the Star...they are a sex link chicken and a hybrid. I am almost 100% sure I red that the New Hampshire Red is indeed a RIR x Star cross...I could be mistaken...the Star is not an association recognized breed but the New nonsense Red is and has a standard.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/Star-B102.aspx

Here is some info on the New Hampshire Red...and by the way, I love my little maggie. She is nicknamed 'Mizz Bossy', she fears nothing, is curious, wants attention and affection. Lovely little girl.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/new_hampshire_reds.html

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/poultry/chickens/newhampshirered/

Hope that helps...I think the RIRs are pretty much solid red with the white as chicks and do not have the prominant markings on the head and back like the New Hampshire Reds..I am noticing that difference in the all the pics of the chicks I am seeing posted.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by