10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
hide.gif
:(

Last edited:
I've got that "Uncle Sam says it's your patriotic duty in war or peace to keep chickens" thing... the 2 per page size... ready to copy and distribute right along with my World's Smallest Political Quiz from the LP doorhangers and my LP bumper stickers.
smile.png

While being able to keep chickens is a laudable goal for everyone, there are many much more important issues facing this country than how a candidate stands on the issue of backyard chickens.

Quote:
I think it is because of some of the issues that are much more important, that the ability of a family to raise chickens to provide food for their family and be self-sufficient is very important to many people, in particular because of the poor economy and poor job market.

Yeah, hearing one mentioned that they're FOR self-sufficiency and educating adults and children about where their food comes from would be nice. A candidate like that would be one who might just be willing to back a measure for safer food handling, less cruel practices, etc. Bonus Points if they aren't being paid by any of the groups those laws would effect... IE American Chicken Farmers, Beef Farmers, etc. Course just because they give a nod to a topic doesn't mean they'll come through when it counts... but at least it does mean they realize it's an issue some of us care about.

There are so many more important issues to address than whether I can raise chickens in my backyard and there are as many reasons why people are raising chickens in their backyard or anywhere else. How far do you take self-sufficiency? Should I next start lobbying for a cow or goat to milk or raise to butcher on my 6,000 square foot neighborhood lot? Should I pack up the hubby, kids, dogs, cats and chickens and buy 10 acres of rural land to be self-sufficient? Sometimes I have to remind myself that this is not the 60s and the whole "back to the earth" thing - basically because I haven't heard about LSD being a social crisis for the last 40+ years. And the other thing that really concerns me is that we are "yuppyizing" the whole "chicken movement." Does anyone remember that acronym? (Young Urban Professional). Or DINKS (dual income no kids)?

I moved to "rural" Arizona and here raising chickens is a sign of poverty, not preparedness or self-sufficiency. In fact the zoning laws here don't even allow chickens on less than an acre zoned agricultural. I'm raising chickens on 17,000+ and nobody here gives a darn - of course they would if I was on a golf course. And if you're raising chickens as "pets" that happen to lay eggs like I am, your eggs are going to cost you a whole lot more than $1.85 for 18 large store bought eggs.

If we want to make a stand, let's stand for education, eradicating hunger in our country, honor, respect, humility and graciousness. American first, regardless of race, color, creed, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious background.

Sorry for the rant.

Quote:
I'm with you one that... adding in Personal Responsibility of course I REALLY think we need more of that... but for me Chicken Keeping falls into education... folks knowing where their food comes from (see City Slickers topic for examples of just how ignorant some folks are) could make a big difference in the laws without candidates having to push it.

For Example... Supply and Demand... if a business loses customers because they have disgusted them, then they will change or go out of business. Either way the bad practice stops, with no government interference. Unfortunately many folks really bury their heads on that topic. My MIL is a good example... she hates that I say "We're having cow for supper" the same way that I say "We're having chicken for supper"... I'm not sure WHY that bothers her... she calls chicken chicken and fish fish... so why the hang up on pig or cow? But it's one of those things no one wants to talk about.

Also, just on this board I've seen folks mention that people they know thing they are backwoods, gross, or even killing freaks because they raise their own meat. That is just WARPED, and really needs to be fixed. Unfortunately if you bring up the subject to anyone who isn't in our boat they tag you as an 'animal nut' and figure they don't need to bother listening to your ranting. *sigh* You've got the 'crazy animal killers' on one end, and the 'crazy animal protectors' on the other... and the majority of folks are in the middle with their heads firmly buried... if it comes from a store then they didn't have anything to do with killing it. Actually, that logic somehow gets used to justify puppy mills too... they just don't get that if no one bought from them that they wouldn't exist.

Changes we can make ourselves with the purchases we buy. The frustrating part is that even if we do, we are not enough to effect the larger picture. Which is why folks want a candidate (anyone in a position of power/influence?) to bring up the issue... so it will be brought to the attention of the masses... but you gotta yell REALLY loud to be heard under all that sand.

Quote:
I'm with you one that... adding in Personal Responsibility of course I REALLY think we need more of that... but for me Chicken Keeping falls into education... folks knowing where their food comes from (see City Slickers topic for examples of just how ignorant some folks are) could make a big difference in the laws without candidates having to push it.

Changes we can make ourselves with the purchases we buy. The frustrating part is that even if we do, we are not enough to effect the larger picture. Which is why folks want a candidate (anyone in a position of power/influence?) to bring up the issue... so it will be brought to the attention of the masses... but you gotta yell REALLY loud to be heard under all that sand.

Absolutely - Personal Responsibility AND accountability. Personally, anyone in "a position of power/influence" scares me. I think they innately believe that they know what is best for me and how I should live my life. I don't really want raising chickens to become a political issue on the national scene. Too many of us have had to deal with petty power mongers at the local level just to keep the few hens we have. So as long as the masses keep their heads buried in the sand (or wherever else they bury it), they won't be able to hear my rooster crow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom