Please look and tell me - enough/ proper ventillation?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pallinore, Dec 4, 2013.

1. pallinore

pallinore Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]I'm confused by the instructions for how much ventilation a coop needs! They seemed plenty happy in the summer, but it's going to be between 5 and 25 degrees F for a week! I have sand in the bottom and their droppings were frozen solid last night. I'll close the door at night to keep them warm, it's rather large, but do I need more ventilation? Less?
    I have eleven chickens in there right now on. Two roosts. More than enough room on them. I will cover the top vent when we have windstorms, it can get pretty bad. Here are a couple of pictures of my hen house.
    Please let me know what you think! The run now has a peaked roof and the roof and far side are covered with vinyl signage.

2. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Coop looks Great. Ventilated very well.

Hot is a problem for chickens, because they're big and fluffy and are built to stay warm, more importantly the coop needs ventilation so the smell of the poo doesn't build up and become to strong and cause respiratory problems.

Cold on the other hand is not so much of a problem (for most breeds) because they're built to be warm. The only thing you'll really need to worry about is the combs. Sometimes they'll get frostbite. To prevent that you can just put some Vaseline on the comb and they'll be fine.

So to keep it short (I know that's hard at this point) Ventilation is more for keeping the smell of poo down and keeping the flock healthy and less for keeping the flock warm or cool.

Hope this helps. Good Luck!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    looks great definitely perfect for a bird.

4. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Which direction does it face? Hopefully it doesn't face the prevailing wind in your area. The ventilation in my coop is in a similar arrangement. I throw a blanket over the top in cold weather and let it hang down. IMO it doesn't obstruct the ventilation but slows down any wind coming in and hopefully minimizes draft. There is a video of a guy that hangs little streamers in his coop to see if there is draft.

5. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    Sounds like I'm doing okay - I just knew that their poop was frozen solid and worried a bit. It faces North, the winds come mostly from the East - the East wall of the run is now covered with vinyl. I'll check if it's drafty and cover the vent in windy storms.
    I just switched to sand, and I've been scooping the poop nightly, so moisture and ammonia build up shouldn't be a problem.
    Thank you!! I worry about my girls! It's my first winter with them.
    Thanks again!

6. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    I really don't worry too much about all this. Chickens have survived for thousands of years without us. We can do what we feel is necessary for them; but it does not mean they need it. Give them adequate shelter, food and clean water, and let them take care of themselves. You'll be surprised how well they do.

7. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    True, true. There is a covey of quail that live in the trees next to the coop and nobody worries about them!
    Thanks!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Looks good for ventilation.
    Remember that humidity is what causes frostbite in freezing temps, and the main purpose of ventilation is to reduce humidity inside the coop.

Would love to see a pic of the peaked run roof.

Edited to add: The roof of what I assume is the nest boxes should probably be slanted to shed rain and snow and make sure the hinge side is not letting any rain in.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  9. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    I'll and a picture tomorrow, when I'm home during the daylight. It's nothing fancy, just 1/2 conduit and vinyl sign material we scored for free. Sure is doing a great job keeping the coop dry and stopping the worst of the winds. I haven't seen any snow or rain getting on top of the nesting box, but that does need some work. I can barely reach the eggs. Thought I'd make it a double decker nesting box - make the roof slanted and permanent, and access the eggs from the side.
    I'm thinking humidity is not a problem right now. I've been removing the poop from the sand every night, and it's 0% humidity right now! They are not huddled together - more spread out if anything. And puffed up. I'm worrying too much, but I'd feel awful if they got frostbite!

10. pallinore

Nov 4, 2013
    Farmington, UT
    Couple of pictures of the vinyl roof, doing a great job keeping the snow out. Guess I should go get the snow off of it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by