1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please look at my hen's eyes and tell me what you think

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Titania, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    So I'm new to chickening (only over a year with chickens) and have to find out everything through experience, I guess. My little mille fleur d'uccle hen, Miette, has something different going on with her eyes. It could be nothing and just how she's made genetically. But, either way, there is a fluid sack that fluctuates in size (larger with the heat, smaller in the evenings) near the corner of her eye. Sometimes I've seen bubbles inside the fluid sac. I don't know what to think. Is she sick? Is it some rare spongy-tissue tumor (a friend who's a professor of biology mentioned something about that)? I'd appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

This is her left eye
    [​IMG]

And this is her right eye
    [​IMG]

Some days they're barely noticeable and somedays they're large like today when I took this picture. What do you think? No symptoms other than panting from this heat. Thanks!

I'm adding a picture of her hatchmate cockerel, Charlemagne. It's not a close up of his eye, but you can tell that it doesn't droop in the corners like hers does.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    It looks a lot like conjunctivitis and you can try washing them out with an eye wash(usually available from drugstore or Walmart), and then using an antibacterial opthalmic ointment without steroid 2 to 3 times daily for at least 10 days and seeing if that helps. Terramycin is a good one as is Triple Antibiotic Opthalmic.
    They don't look runny but they do look irritated, especially her right eye.
    Flies can aggravate the condition and also tall grasses with seeds or heavy dust.
    The only way to rule out tumors is to take her to a vet and let them do biopsies, but it looks to be more of irritation than tumors from your pictures.

3. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Get a plastic dog pen and keep her inside a shed/your house [​IMG] You'll want to keep her isolated so the other ones can't catch it. She might need a check up at the vet [​IMG]

4. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    I agree it's looking like conjunctivitis, and the same drops used for humans will work to treat it, so if you have any around, you could use them. Ciprofloxacin, etc.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with all the posters here, seperate her for the time being just in case it's not conjunctivitis.

6. Titania

Titania Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    thank you. I will go get eye drops then.

Unfortunately, we're going out of town in a few days so this is a bad time to just be addressing this issue. To be honest, we've been so busy lately that I had noticed her eye like that for weeks but kept forgetting to take pictures. I finally did take pictures but realized that it was last week and it has just taken me all this time to post them. Her eye is really always the same. Sometimes it looks better but the worst it looks is how it is in the picture. We have bermuda grass that is always too tall (b/c who wants to mow grass 100+F?) and so maybe that is what is irritating her. I guess I doubt it's anything else because there are no other symptoms and she's had her eyes like this forever. But, what do I know? That's why I always have to come here and ask questions.

So, thanks everyone for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by