1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please look at photo and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by carajoden, Mar 20, 2016.

1. carajoden

carajoden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    I candled tonight (day 7) and all twelve eggs look like this. They have great veins and embryo look good but there looks to be a huge air pocket on one half of each egg. It doesn't move like a liquid. It's stays put. Is it ok or is there anything I can do to rectify it? [​IMG].

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I don't see anything wrong. Are they shipped eggs? Looks like a hand turned egg?

3. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    Yes, I bought them on eBay. I have a incubator with an automatic turner. It just
    looks like one half of the egg is an air pocket. It doesn't not move.
    I'm trying not to over think it. Hatching is nerve racking stuff! :)

4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yes it is....lol I wouldn't expect to see the growth on the one side of an egg in an automatic turner. Being shipped the air cell could be displaced and if they are at day 7 then it might have firmed up at the angle of being turned and that may be what you are seeing. Did you turn them from the start or did you hold off on turning them for a couple days?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    That's a big air cell though for day 7. Did you candle them when they arrived? How did the air cells look?

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I had a small pullet egg look a lot like that in my turner when I candled at lockdown. It was just too small for a good fit in the turner. I’ll watch that next time. I did not mark it so I’m not sure if it was the one that did not hatch or not.

7. WillowC

WillowC Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    I'm a newbie but if your air cell is too large you can increase the humidity to slow the rate down.

8. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    They looked fine when they came. I put them point down for 12 hours then put them in. I actually wondered if my humidity is too high. I am having trouble getting it down below 65.

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh wow. That's high. Have you ever checked the hygrometer for accuracy? Even with shipped eggs I would not expect to see big air cells with that high humidity. (Unless the pic is misleading and it's not air cell like it appears.)

10. carajoden

Mar 16, 2016
    Cortez, Colo
    I put them point down for 12 hours and then put them in the incubator in the egg turner. I would be so sad if I lost them all. Like I say, there's movement and the veins look great on all. Dang.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by