Please look at these EE combs and tell me what you think...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kylara70, Aug 17, 2010.

1. kylara70

kylara70 Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2010
    Okay, here are 10 of my 11 chicks's combs. EE, all from the same flock of chickens, all hatched within 72 hours of each other. Some bodies are bigger then others but the bigger combs do not necessarily match with bigger bodies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What sexes would you guess?

Thanks!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    6 out of 10 are roos is my guess-the more pronounced larger pea combs would be the boys

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Counting from left to right and then down and left to right all the way, *I* think these are your roosters: #4, #6, and #7. POSSIBLY #1. EEs are really hard to tell because of the differences in their breed backgrounds.

4. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Pics of the whole chickens would help....

5. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    I was just curious about the combs. I know it is really too early to tell for sure, but wanted to know based on comb size and coloration what everyone would guess.

Taking whole body pictures is a challenge, with the white ones it would be pointless since you can not see the saddle fethers or hackle feathers on them as they all blend together. There are SOOO many variations, even in the same colorings. One has a BIG comb and no tail, one has a little comb and no tail, etc. There is no continuity. In a couple more weeks I will post whole body pics for everyone to guess. [​IMG] Unless you think we can guess pretty accurately at 6 weeks?

Carol O.

6. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Quote:Maybe. Usually, it is easier by 8-9.

7. kylara70

May 13, 2010
    Okay AL EE, I will wait till 9 weeks for next pics.

6 out of 10 would be good for my freezer but BAD for my laying flock. I wanted hens!!! Of couse.

I am going to go with 3 roosters so far with 3 more possibles. Thanks all for your guesses, please feel free to continue to pipe in with opinions.

Carol

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Based on the combs alone I see 3 probable roos with the top one on the left as a questionable 4th.

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I get 6 also.

If your counting left to right, then down # 1,2,4,6,8,9 are roosters. # 5 and 7 could go either way. The rest are girls.

10. moana-az

moana-az New Egg

Aug 17, 2010
    #3 looks just like my Munchie ...

[​IMG]

I read somewhere (sorry, don't remember source) that if the peacomb comes in with 3 distinct vertical rows of "peas" then it is a roo. I have no idea if the source was reliable or not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by