1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please look at these eggs *UPDATE! Pip!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nugget, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2007
    I just picked these up tonight. They were supposed to be a week under a broody hen, and were sold to me as hatching eggs. I'm assuming these will hatch nothing and smell really bad in a few days?

What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

theres no picture.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wasn't able to view a pic.

OK now I see it. Does the yolk spin freely when you turn the egg? If it does, there is nothing there. You might want to give it a few more days in the bator, just to be sure, but it doesn't look good to me at this point.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  4. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I'd wait til someone w/ more experience looks, but honestly they don't look like anything is going on inside those eggs.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

I would say the same thing, Is it possible they've not been incubated at all?

I don't have experience beyond my own incubation, but when I candled at 1 week, you could definitely see viens and embryo.

Em

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would NEVER buy eggs that had already been under a broody hen. You want fertile eggs that are fresh and never having started the incubation period. The moving and cooling off from going from a nest to an incubator would probably cause the embryo to die.

If those are from a nest from a broody hen and she hasn't actively started sitting when you incubate them it will take 7 days to see veining.

Eggs don't go rotten that fast either. You will smell the stink before they burst.

Pourous eggs will hatch. I have a couple in my bator now growing just fine.

Put them in your bator and give them 7 days to show you what they can do!

Good luck!

7. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    Prissy, what do you think of the spatter of lucent spots over the shells? I thought I read somewhere that suggests bacterial contamination? If you think it isn't a guaranteed waste of time I'll incubate them.

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone

8. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    I didn't mean to get old eggs btw... the farm doesn't normally sell eggs but agreed to our request as sort of a favour. When we got there we learned that these eggs have been piling up under the hen and we weren't sure how old they were (a week or less). I'm a novice, and when told it may simply mean less incubation time, we bought them [​IMG]
    Queen of bad choices!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is just a porous shell. I have orp eggs in my bator like that now that are developing fine. Don't toss them. At least put 7 days in them to see what happens. It'll be an experiment. [​IMG]

Any bacteria I have seen was in goose eggs and it was black spots creeping out like something from a Steven King thriller.

10. Nugget

Sep 2, 2007
    lol, well thank you for your wealth of info! We'll keep our fingers tightly crossed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by