Please look at these eggs *UPDATE! Pip!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nugget, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Nugget

Nugget Songster

Sep 2, 2007
    I just picked these up tonight. They were supposed to be a week under a broody hen, and were sold to me as hatching eggs. I'm assuming these will hatch nothing and smell really bad in a few days?

What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

theres no picture.

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I wasn't able to view a pic.

OK now I see it. Does the yolk spin freely when you turn the egg? If it does, there is nothing there. You might want to give it a few more days in the bator, just to be sure, but it doesn't look good to me at this point.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  4. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I'd wait til someone w/ more experience looks, but honestly they don't look like anything is going on inside those eggs.

5. mangled

mangled Songster

I would say the same thing, Is it possible they've not been incubated at all?

I don't have experience beyond my own incubation, but when I candled at 1 week, you could definitely see viens and embryo.

Em

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I would NEVER buy eggs that had already been under a broody hen. You want fertile eggs that are fresh and never having started the incubation period. The moving and cooling off from going from a nest to an incubator would probably cause the embryo to die.

If those are from a nest from a broody hen and she hasn't actively started sitting when you incubate them it will take 7 days to see veining.

Eggs don't go rotten that fast either. You will smell the stink before they burst.

Pourous eggs will hatch. I have a couple in my bator now growing just fine.

Put them in your bator and give them 7 days to show you what they can do!

Good luck!

7. Nugget

Nugget Songster

Sep 2, 2007
    Prissy, what do you think of the spatter of lucent spots over the shells? I thought I read somewhere that suggests bacterial contamination? If you think it isn't a guaranteed waste of time I'll incubate them.

Thanks so much for your thoughts everyone

8. Nugget

Nugget Songster

Sep 2, 2007
    I didn't mean to get old eggs btw... the farm doesn't normally sell eggs but agreed to our request as sort of a favour. When we got there we learned that these eggs have been piling up under the hen and we weren't sure how old they were (a week or less). I'm a novice, and when told it may simply mean less incubation time, we bought them [​IMG]
    Queen of bad choices!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is just a porous shell. I have orp eggs in my bator like that now that are developing fine. Don't toss them. At least put 7 days in them to see what happens. It'll be an experiment. [​IMG]

Any bacteria I have seen was in goose eggs and it was black spots creeping out like something from a Steven King thriller.

10. Nugget

Nugget Songster

Sep 2, 2007
    lol, well thank you for your wealth of info! We'll keep our fingers tightly crossed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: