1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please look at these eggs, whats wrong ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennyoung, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jennyoung

jennyoung New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    Hi Please look at these eggs our girls are about 7 months old, Please respond if you have had this happen before. Whats going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    The first picture looks like due to a respiratory infection.

The second picture looks like the eggs were laid in the bedding of the coop. The bedding and aged feces seem to draw the color off.

3. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with chickencanoe.
    The ammonia in their poop is really really bad for their breathing. They need ventilation above and below them to let this escape but so they are not in a draft. The coop should be kept clean and dry.

Sometimes their eggs can be soft shelled when coming into and out of lay too.
    Good luck x

4. jennyoung

jennyoung New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    They have a very free lifestyle about 1/2 acre to roam, they like to lay eggs wherever,I pen them at night in at pen with an earth ground, open mesh 1x1 on all sides built from conduit & plastic roll fencing about 5 ft wide 16 foot long, it rained a lot 2 nights ago & they were stuck out in it without a roof covering. Could getting rained on along with 2 chilly nights (50-60 f) have led to the eggs becoming odd. We are in South Carolina, lots of mosquitos & warm weather.

5. Shabana

They certainly need somewhere dry and draft free ideally with perches to roost at night. Like their ancestors that slept in trees, chickens prefer usually to roost stood on perches in a secure ventilated space.
    Their health could certainly be affected otherwise and this will show in their eggs.

Also I replied to your other post with the beak problem, if they have fowl pox they might already be feeling a little under the weather and will need some tlc.
    If you do have mosquitoes about then they are the carriers so that would affirm my suspicions.

Good luck hope they get better soon, once they do their eggs will improve xx

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Top pic is a slab sided egg, with the pattern on it, and the bottom pic are " white banded" eggs.

1. White banded egg. These eggs are the result of two eggs entering and making contact with each other in the shell gland pouch. When this happens, normal calcification (egg shell formation) is interrupted and the first egg that entered the pouch will get an extra layer of calcium, seen as the white band marking. Causes for this are:

- Stress in the flock;

- Changes in lighting, for example adding artificial light in the coop to encourage laying over winter;

- Diseases such as infectious bronchitis.

11. Slab sided or flat sided egg. When two eggs enter the shell gland pouch shortly after another, normal calcification is interrupted. The second egg will not be as complete as the first and may be flattened at the side where the eggs made contact, resulting in a flat or slab side. Causes are:

- Disease, such as infectious bronchitis;

- Stress, frights and disturbances;

- Overcrowding in coop/run;

- Sudden large increase in daily light hours, for example when supplementing light during winter months.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

7. jennyoung

jennyoung New Egg

Oct 13, 2013
    Thank you so much for such great information, do our birds need to visit the vet for the infectious bronchitis ?
    Do you feel the birds beak should be looked at by a vet ?

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Are they showing any of the symptoms for IB? Noisy breathing, discharge from eyes, nasal discharge, gasping when breathing? Also IB typically causes a decrease in egg production. Apart from laying the odd eggs, have you noticed a decrease in production?

I don't know if a vet would be able to much with a cross beak. It depends on the severity, age of the bird etc. There is a very good thread on caring for cross beak chickens here that may help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    With IB, there are watery whites present when the egg is cracked open. There is no cure for IB, it's a virus. A vet visit would be a waste of time and money.
    Here's a link, scroll down and read about Infectious Bronchitis (IB) if you wish:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. Shabana

IB is a real pain to deal with. It's infectious so will spread through a flock and although some birds will seem all fine and normal they might be carriers and can display symptoms when they are run down etc. If you pop down to the coop at night while they are asleep you will hear the breathing rattle. It can be quite upsetting. I had a bird with it and tried multiple things including tylan , smoke bombs, and all sorts of breath easy potions but I lost her in the end :(

That said if your birds do have fowl pox that could certainly contribute to the condition of the shell.

I would have a listen while they sleep, see if they gasp at all or sneeze and whether they have runny eyes. They won't necessarily have all these things. My little hen didn't gasp till the end and her eyes were fine but at night she sounded like she smoked 60 a day and she sneezed now and then each day..

Hope it's not IB and just the fowl pox making them poorly ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by