Please look at this candling. Should I toss it??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jengro65, Feb 24, 2013.

1. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    This picture was of a candling on day 8. See the big dip down from the air cell? The fluid inside also seems very watery and sloshy.
    [​IMG]

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you would have to send more pics. any veins at all?

3. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I'll try and take some more pics tomorrow. Yes there are some veins but nothing moves inside like the thriving eggs.

4. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    Please do post more pics from other angles.( And if i sent it wrong dont critosize) but i think i may see a vain in the pic you have posted but not 100% sure

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    the veins should reach up to the top of the air cell though.

6. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    This is what most shipped eggs look like. Keep it in until day 14 and see how it looks.

7. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2 sometimes they make it and sometimes the air cell is just too damaged.... read more here........ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 scroll to shipped egg info and there are pics below and a reminder that sometimes these chicks cant externally pip.... the article will explain some stuff!

8. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    I can see veins too. Keep it!!! That is my opinion!!!!

9. jengro65

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    I decided not to toss it after the comments here....Boy am I glad too!!!....3 of my shipped eggs have that odd saddle shaped air cell but I saw movement in all 3. I keep hoping that they will make it all the way.
    Should I put them in cartons to hatch when the time comes or lay them on their sides?

10. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    here is what I do...... AT lockdown.... if when I candle they dont have real "jello like" air cells I will lay them flat (dip in the air cell up) pencil mark the air cells if you havent. and if they are jello like I set them in a cut carton upright. just make sure they are not snug in the carton because they can be malpositioned and pip the bottom sides.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by