PLEASE! My rat won't eat or drink! She has red gunk in her eye!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Please help me! My rat has something wrong with her... A few months ago my other female rat, both are female by the way, died, and my mom wouldn't allow me to buy her a new friend. I am wondering if loneliness has anything to do with her sickness.... I try to thread grapes on thread and hang them from the cage, make her a hammock, a fort.... Everything I can to entertain her. Despite my efforts she spends all of her time sitting in her little cave made out of an old orange box. I never see her eat, or drink. I barely notice a difference in the amount of water or food. I find food on the ground, so she might just be spilling it all around the place, and not eating it. I find the water level of the water bottle barely go down. I am just wondering if it is dripping down, as it has a problem of dripping. My rat used to be FAT and I had to do everything I could to give it exercise. Now she is all skin and bones. With a little fur, very awful fur though. And she has all of this red goop on her left eye. It is a little browner then blood, but I am not saying it is not blood. I can get pictures in the morning.

Right now she is alone, with no other friends. She just stays in her orange box all day, and does nothing. I never see her eat, drink, or get out of her box. She was born early August 2010.

Please, I don't want her to continue in pain. I know that rats are good at hiding their pain, but I just have a gut feeling she is in extreme pain. If only you saw her! The pictures won't do her sickness justice, fortunately for you guys.

p.s. I tried to feed her everything, her rat food (brand "Choice" I think), wheat bread, grapes... I am going to try more but I am pretty sure it won't work. When I had both of my girls they would go nuts over their rat food, grapes, bread, carrots, lettuce (the kinds rats can eat), celery, etc.

IF YOU CAN FIND OUT WHAT SHE HAS PM ME! I am doing an internet search of rat diseases.... trying to find which one she has. I'm not doing this for me. I'm doing this for her. She doesn't deserve to be in such pain, and hunger.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] I'm not sure why she's not eating or drinking but i think the gunk is porphyrin.

3. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Rats are social animals, she probably is depressed. The eye gunk is from a respiratory infection, probably the common pet store cootie they get. I think its called myco for short. You can use tylan powder for it in her water.

4. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Thanks, I am right now doing some research about porphyrin, and it sounds like that is what she has. I am right now learning how to treat it. Apparently it can be caused by stress, which I am sure that since she in not eating and drinking barely, if any, she would be stressed. I plan on putting in a sock mommy (sock filled with rice, knotted, then popped in the mirowave, Instant warmer upper! I don't think she will live much longer, I wouldn't think past this year, but it would be nice if she lived longer.

Any one know why the saggy coat? It is very rough, it isn't silky like it used to be. It goes up, down, sideways, and straight up. It sorta looks like a cat that just got scarred, and is puffing up its fur. Except she barley has any fur.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Should I try to find her a home with another rat? I will miss her, but it isn't fair to her. I just hope I can find her a new home. If you recommend it, I will try my best to find her a nice home.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:Can I get tylan powder at my Wal-mart or PetSmart, or PetCo?

7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Yes, the reddish gunk is porphyrin. It's actually a normal secretion for rats, but increases in times of stress or illness. I would start by doing a good all over check. Are there any lumps under the skin, especially by the armpits? Is there anything abnormal looking about her tail? Any red looking sores on the bottoms of any feet? You said her fur is thinning, is it showing any signs of mites/parasites (eggs, moving insects or mites, blood droppings from the parasites, etc) (rough and thinning coats are commonly seen in ill rats, but making sure you don't mean a poor coat due to parasites). Is she over barbering herself (fur will look completely removed in some areas, but be in smooth patches: http://www.aps.uoguelph.ca/~gmason/...iour/library/images/Barbered rat (C Burn).jpg )? Listen to her breathing. Is she sneezing a lot? Do you hear any wheezing or clicking? She may be ill, but she can also be grieving her lost cage mate. Female rats especially tend to take solitary lives very hard. When you pinch her skin, does it bounce back immediately or does it stay tented for a while (lost elasticity in the skin indicates dehydration)? Keeping her eating and hydrated is very important due to the high metabolism of rats. When a rat has lost a lot of weight, the general rule is that practically everything is on the menu until they get some weight back. Foods with lots of liquid in them are best. This includes high caloric food meant for sick dogs, avocado, *goat* milk yogurt, etc. Check here:
    http://www.rmca.org/Articles/nurse.htm

I would also post to some rat forums and include photos, and also information about what happened before your other rat died.

PS. Echinacea is something you can buy at Wal-mart. It usually comes as a dried herb within capsules. Break the capsules open, and give a small amount to your rat in some food. There is also a liquid form. This has actually been shown to boost the immune system in studies (actual scientific studies), and also can help with inflammation. You can read more about it hear:
    http://ratguide.com/meds/herbals_health_supplements/echinacea.php
    It should not replace other treatments, just be used to enhance them. I did nurse a baby rat through a serious bought of myco cause pneumonia though.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  8. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    Scooter&Suzie :

Quote:Should I try to find her a home with another rat? I will miss her, but it isn't fair to her. I just hope I can find her a new home. If you recommend it, I will try my best to find her a nice home.

You aren't likely to find someone to take a sick rat and risk getting theirs sick.
    Tylan should be available at farm stores.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by