PLease need help seting a new Brinsea 20 EX with pump

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jm93030, Feb 8, 2011.

1. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    hi guys

I just got a brinsea 20 ex with the humidity pump but I need help to set it up

I knwo it comes with instructions

but they are very technical for me

may be someone who already owns one

Im going to incubate quails

how do I set the dividers?

thank you

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

It's easier to set your first row of eggs in the tray, first. Then place the egg rail divider next to them, set the next row of eggs, then the next set of rails.

When I used the rails I set the tray IN the incubator first, to keep it more stable and support it when placing the rails in the slots.

Hope that helps!

3. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    Do i need to put rails on the plastic sides? .. meaning touching the bator plastic

4. gryeyes

I don't. I put the foam thingies on the sides of the tray and nestle the eggs against 'em. And the foam thingies also go inside the rails, to cushion the eggs in rows.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  5. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    Thank you for your help

How long should I wait after I turn it on to put the eggs in?

6. gryeyes

Most folks say 24 hours, to make sure it holds temp (and with your unit, humidity).

I trust mine now, and only wait for them to be up and at temp and humidity from morning when I set it and evening when I set the eggs in it.

I set the humidity for 47, which is between 45 and 50%. On day 18, I bump the humidity up to 67%.

Happy hatching!

7. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    thats very good

thank you so much

what do you do at lockdown?

do you keep eggs exactly the same?

8. gryeyes

First, at lockdown, I wait until the auto-turner is straight up, and then I unplug it - MAKING SURE I UNPLUG THE TURNER AND NOT THE INCUBATOR!!! - leaving the 'bator in the turner stand. It just seems easier to me.

Then, there are two usual methods of dealing with egg placement: one is to remove the rails and letting the eggs lay on their sides. The other is to put them into cut-down styrofoam egg cartons so they stay standing up, pointy end down. That way, the hatching chicks don't kick the unhatched eggs around.

If you have few enough eggs to leave some wells in the carton empty, space the eggs so there are empty spots next to them.

To cut down the cartons, I just take a pair of scissors to them and cut out the bottoms of the egg cups so heat and moisture is not blocked from below them. Basically, the carton is then just a collection of connected rings holding the eggs upright and in place.

9. jm93030

Jun 4, 2009
    Oh my God this is so exiting

Thank you for sharing your experience

you made it so easier for me

thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by