Please, need help with young chicken!!

Waddlemyway

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2014
Florida
I have a barred rock chicken and all of her "sisters" have recently started laying. There are 8 hens all together and she is the only one not laying. Recently I noticed she is not eating and will drink quite a bit. We do live in Florida and keep electrolytes and a water source readily available at all times. She doesnt seem like she has been straining to get an egg out and here is no reddness around her vent. Below is a bowel movement she made yesterday, but has not made one since. My husband noticed today that she tried to eat and then drink water and all the water came out of her mouth when she bent over. It seems she wants to eat, but does not want to bend over to pick up the food. We have been giving her nutridrench to help with vitamins as I am afraid she is going to starve.There is nothing obstructing her mouth/throat that we can tell and acts fairly normal otherwise. She stuck out to me also when she was out grazing with the others the other day that she was slower and not foraging like the others that struck me as odd. Then sometimes she would lay down or on her side, but not that long and then get up. It seems she is in some discomfort. I was reading on here as well as I have a chicken health book I keep on hand and this is nothing like we have encountered before in keeping chickens for 6-7 years now. I read about impacted crop and we will check tomorrow morning based on the information and tips we found on here, and in rubbing her crop today along with giving some oil she seemed to like it and was actually falling asleep. Please help with any information you can provide.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2613.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom