please .. need info .. Taylor sick ..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sydneysmom, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Hi everyone this is my first time here .. And I need some help with ideas if what's wrong ...
    My baby Taylor is 6 months old .. She played her first set of eggs a month ago .. A week and a half into laying on them she couldn't stand .. The next day she could take a few steps .. Its now been 3 weeks and she is now not wanting to stand or walk even and when she does its almost like her balance is gone .. She uses her wings on the ground to help keep stable .. And won't eat her food ... She drinks a lot though ... I've added vitamin n electrolytes to her water .. Added ground kelp to her treats but she won't even eat her treats .. Usually apples and bananas .. She's lost weight from not eating .. She is already so tiny ..
    I took her to a avian vet a few days ago ... But its so expensive .. I don't have $400 to do xrays and blood work .. We spent $130 for vet visit and got antibiotics and calcium and an anti inflammatory med ... Its her 3rd day on the meds .. And no sign of getting better ... I'm so worried ... Please if anyone has any ideas ...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Welcome to BYC
    Did the vet give you any ideas what Taylors illness is? Calcium dif? infection? So she was brooding on eggs when this happened? If Calcium dif and infection of either by it self I'm thinking it may take a little longer before you see improvement. Have you tried making a warm mash of her food? sometimes when they are off their feed they will eat it warm and soup more like drinking it than eating it. Also have you let her float in nice warm tub bath [always supervised] to see how she is moving her legs and to keep them active. We call it water therapy. Just make sure she doesn't chill in case she may be running a fever. Drinking alot is good at least it will keep her hydrated,and putting vitamins and electrolytes in the water will help while she recovers I wish I could help more than this but other than offering suggestions and saying I sure hope you see Taylor make a full recovery that's about all I know to do. [​IMG]

3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    she may have the duck plague if she doesnt have balance, only drinks , and has lost so much weight ,( also what is her poop like (wierd question sorry but it can help )

she might have been born with it and it not show up until now

or was she exposed to any other birds?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. Sydneysmom

Mar 30, 2015
    I have 3 ducks .. 2 female and one male .. Yes she was brooding at the tine it started ... She can swim in her pond just fine .. Taylor is the youngest and smallest .. My other two are perfectly fine.. I've kept her in my living room. For last three days since she went to the vet. The vet said it could be many different things .. But didn't have a definite idea.
    Her poop last two days has been milky white .. Not sure if its because she isn't eating and the meds are just running through her?
    I given her two warm baths .. Let her float for 45 minutes each time .. I've puréed her food and added water to make soupy .. She still won't eat it ..

5. Sydneysmom

Mar 30, 2015
    I'm so worried about her .. She's lost so much weight .. I can hear her tummy growling so I know she's hungry .. But she won't take the food in any form

6. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    does she have a growth or anything by her stomach were the eggs would be formed,

we had a muscovy who we though had the plague went to the vet she just had an inflamed growth where the eggs were being formed apperently one rubbed her the wrong way and it made her really sick, she still hasent gotten over the illness but will eventually and live a great long life.

7. Sydneysmom

Mar 30, 2015
    No that I can tell .. And the vet felt all over her checking her bones and pelvic area

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Other than spending the money for anther vet visit, only thing I can think is just supportive care at this point. Has she ever been exposed to anything toxic[plant -animal]stagnant water? metal laying on the ground. when she is in the water does she float or move around using her legs? Does she like mashed peas? most ducks love them. or baby food? We have a list of flushes you could try with her to see if it's a toxin. I know you probably don't but anything moldy even feed can cause botulism.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal#post_9508213

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. Sydneysmom

Mar 30, 2015
    I make sure there food stays dry at all times ... Water inside the duck house is changed every day .. And the outside pond is drained and cleaned every week ... I've tried baby food .. Wet cat food .. Puréed apples and strawberries .. And puréed feed mix with water and a little apple cider vinegar ..

10. Sydneysmom

Mar 30, 2015
    She floats and uses her legs just fine in the water .. But I have to put her in and out of it .. She can't do it on her own .. Nothing metal to get into .. I've checked the yard .. And no plants around. Just the sod I put down for them to have plush grassy areas ..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by