1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please, need tips for sexing Wheaton Ameraucaunas.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Sep 15, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Any clues would be greatly appreciated. They are just hatching now, but need to be sexed in the first couple of weeks if at all possible.

Thanks!

2. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Are they true wheaten ameraucanas? If so the boys feather out dark and the girls are light brown.

-Cindy in MA

3. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    how many weeks are they when they start feathering out.....? Yes they are true wheatens

4. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Oh, I think I knew for sure with mine within a couple of weeks. I was able to tell by the primaries. Then it was definite when the first few body feathers started appearing.

-Cindy

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    you should be able to tell when they get there feathers and everything....probably as early as a week or two

6. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Great Thanks !

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    WBS Ameraucanas are one of the three breeds that I raise and show. You are going to have to wait until they are at least 4-6 weeks old to be sure whether you have males or females. Even distinguishing between Wheaten and Blue Wheaten can be tricky at times. I had a couple of Splash pullets this year that I wasn't able to tell they were for sure Splash until they were like 8 weeks old.

I have one Wheaten pullet right now that I would've sworn was going to be a cockerel. She's got way too much black in her. I think there may be some pictures on my website that you may find helpful.

I had planned to do a week by week photo journel of my Ameraucanas this year but I wound up having just way too many irons in the fire to add one more thing to do.

If you can post some pics, it may help.

God Bless,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by