please----need to see a few photos of pens for bob whites

Discussion in 'Quail' started by old geezer, Nov 21, 2010.

1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    i would like to see a few to possiblely come up with my desing to raise maybe a dozen or so as pets----any help appreceiated

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280575

This
    is a 19 page THREAD of quail cages. There are probably some mixed in there that have Bobwhites.

Is there any particular reason why you want Bobwhites instead of Coturnix as pets? Coturnix are much tamer / friendlier, plus you'd have a few eggs on the side. They are also nicer to each other than Bobs, from what I understand.

Someone here -- JJ maybe -- describes coturnix as the equivalent of a lap dog and Bobwhites as the equivalent of a junk yard dog, at least so far as their temperaments go. (I love Bobwhites -- I think they are beautiful & I love their noise. I just don't want to deal with them attacking each other.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  3. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:CLOSE, COTURNIX ARE THE ROACHES OF THE QUAIL WORLD, WHILE BOBS ARE THE JUNK YARD DOGS...

OLD GEEZER I RECOMEND 1/2 INCH HARDWARE CLOTH FOR A RAISED FLOOR--- KEEPING THEM ON WIRE IS VERY BENEFICIAL TO YOU AND YOUR STOCK. BOBS, AS WITH MOST NEW WORLD QUAIL, ARE TRUE GAME BIRDS--- SCRAPPY LIL THINGS WITH BIG EGOS AND EVEN BIGGER ATTITUDES= SPACE IS KEY AS WELL AS SEX RATIO. THEY DO BEST IN COLONY PENS IF THE LADIES OUT NUMBER THE BOYS BY AT LEAST 2:1, BUT YOUR FERTILITY RATE WILL SUFFER IF YOU GET UP TO 4:1. EACH BIRD NEEDS ABOUT 2SQ FT OF FLOOR SPACE AND IF YOU CAN INCORPORATE HIDING PLACES INTO YOU PEN YOUR AGRESSION RATES WILL DECREASE. KEEP IN MIND THEY ARE FAST FOOD FOR EVERY WOULD BE PREDATOR ON THE PLANET SO BUILD IT STURDY AND WITH METAL WIRE IN SMALL OPENING CONFIGURATION... IF USING 1 INCH CHICKEN WIRE YOU MAY FIND PREDATORS REACHING THRU AND HARMING YOUR BIRDS, ITS BEST TO THINK OF EGG GATHERING AND BIRD CARE WHEN YOU DESIGN YOUR PENS--- MAKE IT SO YOU CAN REACH ALL AREAS OF FLOOR SPACE. MAKE THE DOORS HINGED ON THE SIDES RATHER THAN TOP OR BOTTOM AS THIS ALLOWS YOU TO CLOSE IT MUCH FASTER WHEN THEY SPAZ AND START FLAILING ABOUT THE PEN. I ACTUALLY TOOK SOME OF THE BIRD NETTING AND STAPLED IT TO THE INSIDE OF MY BREED PEN OPENS SO WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR THERE IS STILL A CURTAIN I REACH THRU TO GET EGGS OR GRASP BIRDS-- SO WHEN THE GO BALLISTIC THEY SIMPLY BOUNCE OFF THE CURTAIN BACK INTO THEIR PEN.

4. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]....thank you roz , an jj for the speedy reply ....found everything i wanted to know an see from your reply's ....[​IMG]....i am going quail defenitely---the decesion came down to which is the most cold hardy as i live in way up-state ny ,and judgeing from jj's address as pa---i think courtinex is the way to go , our weather is pretty much the same as i have family in dickson city outside of scranton--------thanks again all-------lou.............ps :never heard the others call---but i alway thought the bob,s call was awsome

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Actually JJ's address is FL, but either species would be okay in cold weather [​IMG]

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:CLOSE, COTURNIX ARE THE ROACHES OF THE QUAIL WORLD, WHILE BOBS ARE THE JUNK YARD DOGS...

OLD GEEZER I RECOMEND 1/2 INCH HARDWARE CLOTH FOR A RAISED FLOOR--- KEEPING THEM ON WIRE IS VERY BENEFICIAL TO YOU AND YOUR STOCK. BOBS, AS WITH MOST NEW WORLD QUAIL, ARE TRUE GAME BIRDS--- SCRAPPY LIL THINGS WITH BIG EGOS AND EVEN BIGGER ATTITUDES= SPACE IS KEY AS WELL AS SEX RATIO. THEY DO BEST IN COLONY PENS IF THE LADIES OUT NUMBER THE BOYS BY AT LEAST 2:1, BUT YOUR FERTILITY RATE WILL SUFFER IF YOU GET UP TO 4:1. EACH BIRD NEEDS ABOUT 2SQ FT OF FLOOR SPACE AND IF YOU CAN INCORPORATE HIDING PLACES INTO YOU PEN YOUR AGRESSION RATES WILL DECREASE. KEEP IN MIND THEY ARE FAST FOOD FOR EVERY WOULD BE PREDATOR ON THE PLANET SO BUILD IT STURDY AND WITH METAL WIRE IN SMALL OPENING CONFIGURATION... IF USING 1 INCH CHICKEN WIRE YOU MAY FIND PREDATORS REACHING THRU AND HARMING YOUR BIRDS, ITS BEST TO THINK OF EGG GATHERING AND BIRD CARE WHEN YOU DESIGN YOUR PENS--- MAKE IT SO YOU CAN REACH ALL AREAS OF FLOOR SPACE. MAKE THE DOORS HINGED ON THE SIDES RATHER THAN TOP OR BOTTOM AS THIS ALLOWS YOU TO CLOSE IT MUCH FASTER WHEN THEY SPAZ AND START FLAILING ABOUT THE PEN. I ACTUALLY TOOK SOME OF THE BIRD NETTING AND STAPLED IT TO THE INSIDE OF MY BREED PEN OPENS SO WHEN I OPEN THE DOOR THERE IS STILL A CURTAIN I REACH THRU TO GET EGGS OR GRASP BIRDS-- SO WHEN THE GO BALLISTIC THEY SIMPLY BOUNCE OFF THE CURTAIN BACK INTO THEIR PEN.

Roaches. HA HA. That's right, you call them roaches. I was close. Mine are more like lap dogs, though. I can pick them up and hold them. [​IMG] They even pretend (briefly) that they don't hate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by