Please... need your help - DEAD HEN!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tkline704, Aug 5, 2014.

1. tkline704

tkline704 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2014
    One of my 21 week old Tetra Tints was found dead in the coop this morning! She seemed perfectly fine last night and had absolutely no issues thus far, even laying pretty regularly! When we found her she was already gone and the other hens were pecking at her. I did find that she layed an egg earlier this morning and it had blood stains on it! I am a newbie to raising chickens and this just totally devastated me!

2. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    I'm sorry to hear about your hen. :(

A little blood on an egg can happen. It's like the egg is a bit too big and causes a little tear in the vent. As long as it's not a lot of blood it's not a huge issue.

Next you're going to want to check over your remaining flock. Do they have mites/lice, have you wormed them, is there any moldy feed or poison she could have gotten in to? How does the poo look around your coop or yard? Any dirty bottoms? Also, is there any chance of some small predator getting in there at night?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have been egg bound for a period of time, or possibly had a prolapsed vent which they pecked at. It is pretty stressful to them when they start laying, and it seems like it can be common to lose one at this time. Make sure that you have plenty of calcium supplement for them, as in crushed oyster shell in a separate container. So sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. tkline704

Apr 9, 2014
    Thanks for the quick respones! There is no chance of a predator, and she was laying the last few weeks! Food and water is always fresh and no chance of poison. What do I look for mites/lice? And I've never wormed them! Is this something I should do regardless?

5. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Sift through the feathers all the way down to the shaft. You'll usually see lice eggs at the base of a feather. Lice move fast, mites move slow.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mites-lice-treatment-and-prevention
    This may help you.

Worming on a regular basis would be a good habit to get into. There's a lot of useful information on here about it. Don't panic if you haven't done it there are plenty of people who choose not to and have no problems.

None of these could be your issue. It could be like Eggcessive stated with a prolapsed vent or egg stuck. Just make sure to provide the proper feed, calcium, and grit if you feed anything outside of commercial feed. Sometimes, unfortunately, these things just happen.

I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your flock.

6. tkline704

Apr 9, 2014
    Thank you! I'm leaning towards the prolapsed vent. She was perfectly fine and laying regularly, but I did find a very soft (almost like a water balloon), but very large egg just the other day. However, she did lay a regular sized egg the morning she passed!

7. BayBay Peepers

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Glad to hear it passed! If you suspect a prolapsed vent you may want to check out her bum to make sure it doesn't need tending to. It's not the prettiest of jobs, but its a necessary one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by