please no!!2 week old crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by birdbrain2, Feb 15, 2009.

1. birdbrain2

birdbrain2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    please tell me this is something else and i am just being paranoid. but my only and favorite (GLW) chick is acting like it is crowing, not making a sound but looks like its crowing, if i can i will get a pic or video. she can't be a rooster not allowed and i don't wanna cull/rehome my only one. she is putting head high up and opening her mouth like she is yawning or yodeling. please tell me pullet chicks do this too or just yawning. oh and she was not near the water. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    she will be 2 weeks wed. (edit)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Mine do that too and they are all pullets. I do not know if that is what you are talking about, but my chicks get up on their tippy-toes, stretch their neck, and open their beak real wide. After they are done they relax back down and blink their eyes a couple times like they are surprised with themselves. [​IMG] It's too cute. And yes, it's yawning, if that sounds about right.

If your chick is crowing at two weeks it will make sort of a BUH-PEEP! noise. Kind of like a cross between a loud cheep and a god-awful sounding rooster.

3. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    thanks that makes me feel a lot better, I feel silly now, even more so because i was just reading earlier today about someones 2 week old crowing and making a noise, so i am just a little paranoid and i haven't seen them doo that yet.

i have been doing a whole lot of searching thru old threads/posts to find answers to questions i have. and every time i find an answer to something, i end up thinking of more. or I might find something to worry about that i haven't thought of, like now i am worried about roosters, mites, growth rate and on and on. i do work 2 jobs so that is part of the reason i have been posting a lot of questions lately....sorry! and thanks

4. SussexInSeattle

SussexInSeattle Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    Washington
    Did you mean it is the only chick of that variety that you own or the only chick Period? If it is truly the only chick, she should really have 2 more chicks for company. Chickens get lonely too, especially when mama is workin two jobs! That would be some unbearable alone time. Picture that poor kid in Home Alone....

5. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    Yes mine do that too. It's quite normal. my hens yawn all the time. Oh, yes and mine also do it when they are eating something dry, haven't drank, and they start to choke.

6. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    thanks for the reassurance.
    Did you mean it is the only chick of that variety that you own or the only chick Period? If it is truly the only chick, she should really have 2 more chicks for company. Chickens get lonely too, especially when mama is workin two jobs! That would be some unbearable alone time. Picture that poor kid in Home Alone....

yes i have more than one, its my only GLW.​

7. flamingauburnmustang

flamingauburnmustang Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    South Africa
    LOL!!!!! [​IMG]

All the chicks I have had do that. I think it's normal....I think..... [​IMG]

Anyway. Can you maybe send a picture of your chick? [​IMG]

8. birdbrain2

Dec 25, 2008
    belleville, IL.
    here is a pic from Saturday. thanks again for the replies [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I just got home so i haven't seen her do that yet.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  9. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Aw s/he is so cute! [​IMG]

10. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida
    Mine did that too that young ..my RIR are now 11 weeks and started crowing last week for real..funny to listen to them..they will get it down pat, getting better..I just can't hardly wait till the hens start laying eggs!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by