please no one had answered. question about my hen ! she is hurt.

jessaw1981

Chirping
9 Years
May 30, 2010
Franklin Nc
I have a golden commet hen of un known age. I am teasing about 1 yr. or a little more. we let them out yesterday so I could build a house for them on to there run. Well my kids always kinda toss the birds up to watch them fly ( I know hind site 20/20 ) I know better know. But my youngest git her and tossed he up they only do it a couple a feet but tossed her up and she flew into a wooden pole and hit her side. she can not walk on her foot. It does not feel broken checked all the way up her leg her wing seems to be kinda connected to because when she lemps she flops her wing. But her wing feels fine. I have her in a cage all.to herself with hay on the floor water and food so she don't have to move to get it. I don't know if I should wrap it , she can't put any weight on it hardley at all and I put her out to free range with the rest so she could see all her buddies and she just laied down. what should I do for her ? any ideas ?
Second question The hen I was just talking about I git her and another hen at the same time they were my first ones had them about 4 to 5 mo. and one has a bald spot on her breast bone the other has one on her under her vent. I have checked many many times for mites and lice. And I see nothing also they have been with my 4 mo. old chicks about 2 mo. and none if them show signs at all checked them all many many times to. there just bald spots they are red color like there comb. I've only had a roo about 1 week so that's no it. and they were laying everyday untill I started moving them from different cages. Now with there new house and run the one lays every day. I don't know if the guy that had them had a roo and it was before moult do her feathers won't come in what do Yall think ?

Last edited:
I would put her in seclusion for 24-48 hours. Large enough for her to move around IF she wants to but keep food and water close by so she doesnt have to move if she wants to rest. The other chickens will sense that she is weak and pick on her if you leave her with the flock.

Oops, you've already dont that. Sorry. I would give her another day in seclusion and then let her out to try to walk. I have had several limpy chickens but none that flopped their wing while they limped. That worries me for your bird. No signs of internal damage from the bash into the pole? Bloody discharge? Swelling in the side or breast area?

She could just be very bruised. I hope thats all it is and I am very glad that your little ones wont be throwing them anymore.

Hope someone else chimes in with some thoughts...

Quote:
no nothing like that. she seems a little better today but still don't want to walk on it. her food and water is right beside her I let her out for a few min with the rest of the flock and she hobbled better than yesterday I only let her out for about 20 min. and put her up. any ideas on there bald spots ? I don't see any mites it fleas lice or anything.

Quote:
no nothing like that. she seems a little better today but still don't want to walk on it. her food and water is right beside her I let her out for a few min with the rest of the flock and she hobbled better than yesterday I only let her out for about 20 min. and put her up. any ideas on there bald spots ? I don't see any mites it fleas lice or anything.

Quote:

Please don't allow your kids to do that anymore. Chickens really don't fly like that. She'll need time to heal. Leg injuries can take awhile.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom