Please NO roos! **Pics added**

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by havi, Apr 14, 2008.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Okay, Im totally obessing on weither my chicks are roos or not. I ordered 2 RIR's pullets and 2 BO's pullets from Ideal. Then I went to the feed store and bought 2 EE's pullets. I know they say theres a 95%(? I think thats the %) that they are sexed right. But the more I handle them the more I think they may be roos. [​IMG] B/c the two EE's have no combs what so ever. They are completly flat. Where as the 2 RIR's and BO's have little combs already. They are all 3 weeks old. I only have a camera phone to take pictures, so they(the combs) dont show up too well in the pictures. But I will try to take pictures and post some later.

And what are the odds of me ordering 4 pullets from Ideal and them ALL being males? I basically just want to see what you opinions are..

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    My pictures did not turn out so well. I looked online and these are basically what mine look like. Well their combs that is..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    I am by no means an expert but all my babies have combs. One has a much larger and redder one than the other two. I am pretty certain he is a roo. They are four weeks old now so it's getting easier to tell.

I google searched BO and RIR pullets and they all have combs. Even the EE pictures that I saw had combs on pullets only very small ones.

How old are your babies? I know it's very hard to tell when they are young and it's a wait and see kinda thing.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:The 2 RIR's and BO's are three weeks old today and the 2 EE's are 3 weeks old tomorrow. Im so paranoid that they may be roos, b/c I CANNOT have any roos where I live and I dont want to give up any of my babies!

5. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Hens do have combs, they just don't grow as big as a roo's. Don't panic, just wait and see. My Leghorns are five weeks old, and I definitely know I have two roo's. One of my RIR's might be a roo, not sure yet. But the Leghorns are straight run, all others are pullets (so far).

6. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    In another week or so you should be able to tell more. I know my roo is four weeks old now and his comb is getting pretty red.

Don't get too worried. They are probably pullets. Just wait and see.

7. havi

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks guys! I just get so worried that they may be roos. Ive gotten sooo attached to my babies(cant say the same for them) that I would hate to see any leave! The bigger they get the more I pray that are all pullets! [​IMG]

8. whatnow?

whatnow? Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    SE PA
    They look just like my pullets did at that age. They have a fairly pronounced comb.

9. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    EE"S have pea combs. They look entirely different from RIR and BO combs. Yours all look like pullets to me.

10. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Look like all girls to me. EEs generally have a pea-comb, which starts off as not much more than a little bump over the top of the beak.

The other two breeds have single combs, which start out as a little ridgy comb, just like you see in the pics.

Girls and boys both have combs - it's just the males are usually larger in most breeds - but girls start growing them early too.

Now, around 6 wks if when you compare the same breed to each other and you see one with a huge red comb compared to the others....THAT'S when you can start worrying that you may have a roolet!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by