Please offer your comments

rancher hicks

Free Ranging
14 Years
Feb 28, 2009
Syracuse, NY
For those who don't know I read everything about chickens, I really do need to catalog what and where.

Anyhow my new read is "Minnie Rose Lovgreens RECIPE FOR RAISING CHICKENS". Minnie Rose 1888 -1975

Here is and excerpt on broody hens and I would like your thoughts to this advice.

" I found out that so long as hens eat the egg mash, they don't become broody. They fill up on it, and I try to make them fill up on it, becuase I want more eggs.
But the bantam eggs dont sell very well anyway because they' re so small. That's another reason people use bantams for mothers.

For instance, suppose you had a flock of 25 bantam hens. At least 23 of them would get broody in spring and want to be mothers. With a flock of 25 regular hens, you might get only 3 or 4 to be broody.
We used to say, "the egg maker feed really takes the broodiness right out of them." Before the egg- maker came out, the non-bantam hens used to want to be mothers also.
But with egg maker available now, the bantams naturally still try hard to eat more grain. They'll go to no end of trouble to find grain. They'll dig seeds out of the little weeds and such that come along
so they can become mothers. "

Now I doubt anyone was around when layer mash was first introduced. But perhaps someone here has both bantam and standards running around your yard and may have noticed a difference in who and when and how many times your hens go broody.
I have only one bantam friz hen and she has gone broody twice to once for my standards. I've had 1 bo, 1 del, 3 cm's go broody to Frenchy's twice. I did have one non friz bantam and she went broody too. Both bantams went broody before the others.

Thanks for your thoughts and observations

Rancher

Last edited:
We've certainly had our share of hens eating layer feed go broody! Maybe we should switch brands.
lol.png

Quote:
agreed i had a red sexlink and a cochin go brooody and they were on layer feed i dont think feed makes a difference if a bird goes broody or not but i could be rong

My cochins (when we had them) and the silkies are broody constantly. We seem to be trying to break broods regularly.

In my large fowl girls...I've only had 1 EE go broody for about a week, then quit when we took the eggs out from under her everyday. I do have an "unknown" hen that wandered down the middle of the road in front of our place, took a look at our chickens and decided to call it home. She is obviously part bantam something and she did go broody for about 6 weeks. We moved their coop and that was the end of her broodiness.

I can't imagine that feed has much effect on the broody instinct. My girls all get layer, and I've had numerous broodies this year. Still have 3 sitting. But they are all large fowl too.

Don't know about the laying mash, but from reading I've done Sex linked chickens aren't broody. This is so funny my dad has red sex links and I think nearly every one of them has tried to go broody at least once, it is quite funny becauser he can't stand a broody hen.

Hmmmmm............."ponder"......"sigh".........Oh well, I don't know the answer
smile.png
I raise bantams mostly anyway so I guess it doesn't really affect me either way lol

Back
Top Bottom