Please perpetuate my denial

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pbjmaker, Sep 21, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    These are two of my 5 week old chicks. The first one is Sonny a cochin. The red in the comb and wattle area suggest roo - but my other cochins have way bigger combs that are bright red. I am also thinking that it is a splash (the feathers are more of a blue based white and there are a couple of dark gray "spots")

Please tell me its really a pullet - not a later blooming roo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is April who I have no clue on - and my understanding is that Silkies/Showgirls are hard to sex. S/he is very cautious and did not want to pose for any pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for opinions!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    No clue about the second chick, I don't know anything about those. The cochin, though, at 5 weeks....I'd say roo. Cochins are very slow developing birds, and right now I have 5 12 week olds and the roo out of the bunch is only now starting to get a larger comb and wattles, although they did turn red at just a few weeks. You say the others have larger, redder combs? Hmmm....that to me says all those would be roos, too....it takes a much longer time, even for regular breeds, for the females to get the red combs and wattles. Post pics of all of them!!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  3. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    and how is that perpetuating my denial?

4. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Please perpetuate my denial

Nothing but a bunch of hens [​IMG]

5. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Ok here is some of his hatchmates with him - I fear out of 9 bantam cochins I have 8 roos. If April is also a roo then that would make 10 roos out of 14 birds.

[​IMG]

This guy already started crowing:
    [​IMG]

This is Rogue who just wanted his picture taken and wouldn't go away until I took it - he is such a handsome boy...

[​IMG]

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I am not sure about the second one, but I think the first one is a [​IMG]

sorry, but I do think the first one is a.......rooster.....oops...it slipped out..... [​IMG]

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:Ok, they are all pullets, in fact all your chickens are female. And any eggs you hatch in the next 365 days will be female.

8. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I just wish that was true...

Seems I got a knack for hatching roos. My Millies came up 5 roos, 3 hens and the ones I hatched this spring in preschool came out 4 out of 4 roos. The only one that was "day-old sexed" as a pullet was even a roo (My 20 week old RIR)

9. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Ok here is some of his hatchmates with him

LOL.... [​IMG] you did that to yourself!​

10. pbjmaker

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by