Please pics of bantam cochins, preferably black,from hatcheries**

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Aug 27, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am looking for a black banty cochin hen and am VERY interested in seeing pictures of your banties from hatcheries. I want to know if I buy some from these hatcheries will it be worth it or not. Idea and Cackle are still selling them. Thanks

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    anybody?

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'm very particular about my bantam cochins so I buy eggs from people with great stock. Where are you from? I'm driving to Mississippi on Labor Day to pick up a black pair and a barred trio, plus a few younger ones. I know that it will be about $90.00 in gas, but they are gorgeous birds, from Tom Roebucks stock (president of Cochin Society) and Otes Ray who is one of the best black bantam cochin breeders in the US. Plus, they are adults and I can begin getting eggs right away. Once the hens start laying, I'll be glad to sell you eggs.

I'm also purchasing a columbian pair and a white pair from Tom Roebuck. He is in Virigina, but will bring them down to Fl. in January to the American Bantam Assoc. show.

Now, I will say that I've heard some people say that they got real nice cochins from a hatchery...not sure which one. Here is a photo of one of the ones I'm picking up.

ETA: Sorry, I see your from Wisconsin. You could always check out the cochin breeders society and see if there is anyone near you.

[​IMG][/img]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am really torn up about my hen dying. I see there is someone in Neillsville WI who has birds on the cochinsrule website, but I do not know if she has any now.

But in the meantime if you are willing to sell eggs to me I would just love some.

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I am really not interested in hatchery birds. I guess there just seems to be a vaccuum from bantam cochins in this area and I was being too desperate.

I would love to buy some eggs from you. Thank you so much for offering. Lets keep in touch. Those are beautiful birds and I noticed them on the cochins rule website also.!!!!!!

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I'll be getting the black pair on Monday along with a barred trio. I'm sure it will take a bit for her to start laying, but I would be willing to ship a few eggs to get you started. I won't charge you anything but shipping...my gift to you. I also have a very tiny mottled hen that I could put with them if you are interested in the possibility of a mottled baby. I suppose a black roo over a mottled hen will get you 50/50 black or mottled...is that right? I'm so bad with chicken genetics. [​IMG]

I also have 2 mottled roos, but I haven't put them with the little hen because she was so overbred when I got them as a trio. I've been giving her a break.

After she starts laying I'll save them 4-5 days and then get them off to you. I'll PM you when all this happens!!

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Have you checked out the voy forums for cochins? You might be able to find some there. Most of the big show breeders will not sell eggs at all or chicks for quite a while until they've seen how they're going to turn out.

I wish I could help, but I have to check the fertility and haven't gotten around to it since my roo is feeling better.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:Thank you oldtimegator I would so appreciate that. I would love to try for a mottled too. This is so sweet of you to do this. I will be waiting to hear from you. And I am looking forward to those pictures you promised Cynthia too. [​IMG]

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    You asked about Ideal . . . these two are from Ideal.

A couple of pictures of Persephone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Big Guy
    [​IMG]

I prefer them to the show quality ones, which I think are all fluff and no substance . . . but to each their own! [​IMG]

I don't know what's going on with photobucket . . . the pictures should be smaller. Sorry [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Asher I dont know what a VOY Forum is?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by