Please place your General Location in your Profile :)

Discussion in 'Website Announcements, Feedback, Issues, & Guides' started by Farmer Connie, May 8, 2018.

1. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Billion $ Babies Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Fl. Peninsula
    My Coop
    More and more, and so way too often, a question pops up that cannot be answered without knowing a "basic general location" of the O.P..
    Mostly weather/geographical related.
    I find myself repeating like a broken record by asking where about's are you?
    So I've decided to not reply as much to their inquires because of the lack of information provided.
    If with there was a way to make a general location mandatory (like the why did you join? box). At least something has to be typed into the box. If the member chooses to type the words nowhere (example), at the least we would know they wish to remain anonymous as possible.

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I feel your frustration, and I know many others do too, but I would rather not have to enter my location. :oops:

3. HuskerHens18

HuskerHens18 Songster

Is "Nebraska" still too vague? I could put in which side of the state without giving up my actual city, I just didn't know if that was necessary.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    I also wish location was notated yet respect those that don't.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    IMO, no, that's not too vague.

6. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Free Ranging

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Helps me, gives insight to weather/climate, thank you

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    X2

8. MatthewsHomestead

MatthewsHomestead Crowing

Feb 21, 2018
    NC Foothills
    I didn't want to put exact location either so I just put general area of the state I'm in. I know my state can have several different climates at any given time of year...... I feel the frustration. Also makes it hard in the swaps if you don't know where someone you want to swap with is generally located.

9. As I rule, I don't even give out which state I live in. I've had... a problem in the past, where an angry individual tried to use tidbits of information about me to locate my address. They got to the point of figuring out the city, and calling the local PD claiming to work for a news company asking for my address. The local PD contacted me, instead of giving it to them, fortunately.

So, no. If location were a requirement, I would not have joined.

10. SueT

SueT Crowing

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    There have been a surprising # of posts in "animals in need of free rehoming" where no location is given even in the post until someone asks.
    It reminds me of an elderly man here who was issued a warning for not using turn signals when he turned off the highway to his farm. "Well everyone knows where I live," he said.
    But anyway, we don't live in a town, we're out in the country. So tho our mailing address lists a town, the residents of it don't consider us one of them, lol. We have to pay for services they get for free. So we don't like to say we're from there!

Last edited: May 8, 2018

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by