PLEASE PLEASE HELP prolapse duck BAD***GRAPHIC PICS****

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyGurl, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DuckyGurl

DuckyGurl Overrun With Chickens

So I had posted yesterday on my listless duck. I thought she was getting better after ACV, only this AM I found this:
    ***PICS MAY BE GRAPHIC****
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is resting comfortably now in a huge mound of shavings. Cleaned it up, tried to push it in and it wouldn't go, so I stopped. It is bleeding. Any suggestions, or is there nothing I can do?

2. DuckyGurl

This is before cleaning, BTW.

3. Funniducki1

Funniducki1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2011
    OUCH. Boy, this is a bad one. I have never seen it come out quite like that before.
    Poor girl!! :( So sorry this has happened.

There is always a chance tho, but sometimes we don't know for a day or two.

Your mom has a lot of these herbs, it would be helpful for you to read this link: http://www.herballegacy.com/search.php?zoom_query=prolapse

Yellow dock is #1. Red Rasp. for swelling...

Praying she gets better. I could come over this evening if you would like maybe?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have never had one prolaspe thank goodness, but I understand honey and or Prep H works to lube then try to push it back in, the main thing is you don't want it to dry out. poor girl that has to be painful. i don't think I'd have her on shaving though they are just going to stick to it. maybe just an old clean towel?

5. DuckyGurl

Yeah, I suppose an old towel will work. But she is already settled, so I don't want to move her. I did use a salve to lube it and tried to push it in, but then it started bleeding.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    you might let her soak in some warm water too, it might help it to go back in.

7. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Oh my. I have no advice to offer, but I sure will say a little prayer for you. And give this a little bump to the top. How awful.

8. DuckyGurl

Thanks quackerjack. I don't know if I should wait, or get it over with. I don't want her suffering. It is so hard watching your baby suffer, when you can't even do anything.

9. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    I know. I feel for ya.

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There have been some good suggestions. When she can take a break from her nap, a bath in warm water, nice and leisurely, may help. I would consider slathering the tissue first with KY jelly and trying to reinsert it with something smooth and not breakable. My snake's prolapse was reinserted with a rectal thermometer.

Vitamins and apple cider vinegar would be good for her overall system.

And yes, if you can switch out shavings for a towel that might be good. Though if the tissue wants to stick, it might be more problematic in a way if it sticks to something as large as a towel.

You are doing what you can. Please keep us posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by