PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pkaye, Mar 31, 2017.

1. pkaye

pkaye New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I have a cochin rooster that is just under a year old..i went to his pen today and noticed his neck from the underneath of his beak to his crop is competely swollen!!!! Even around his eyes is swollen.. I have never seen this before. At first i thought it was sour crop or something but when i lightly squeeze it feels like a whole lot of air bubbles packed in there.. I havent noticed any others looking this way..hes in the house but seems like his breathing is getting worse.. Does anyone have any idea or experienced anything like this before??? He is my baby and i cannot lose my guy!!!! Please any ideas at all???

2. Louise Waffles

Louise Waffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2017
    I have never had this happen, but swelling in that area would have me calling the vet. Do you have any antibiotics on hand?

3. pkaye

pkaye New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I gave him some tylan 50..thats all i have o hand til morning..

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos?

5. pkaye

pkaye New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    I can in about 20 min...he wont eat and i havnt noticed him drink either..[​IMG]

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Do you think he may have suffered an injury or does this act more like a respiratory illness (mucous, watery eyes, cough, etc.)

When you tap on the swelling does it sound hollow --- like a balloon - could he have a ruptured or leaking air sac?
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/889866/is-this-a-ruptured-air-sac

1 person likes this.
  7. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017
    The best thing would be to call your vet in the morning. It could be something contagious, or a bite or sting.
    Is there discharge from eyes, ears or nares? Get a really good flashlight and look in his ears, you can see infection.
    Based on my limited experience and some reading, that's what I would do. You can examine him for evidence of any bite or sting, I don't know that you'd be able to find anything, but if so, chickens can have benadryl. I don't know the dose, but you can find it online.

8. Louise Waffles

Feb 1, 2017

A ruptured airsack. I never even knew! Glad you're here!

9. pkaye

pkaye New Egg

Mar 31, 2017
    It feels just like a balloon....i looked at the links that was given and it truly looks like a rupture air sac...i will put up pics in the morning but we are gonna try sticking the needle in and trying that..[​IMG] i will keep yall posted!!! Thank you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for yalls help! You have been angles tonight!!

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    How is he doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by