1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please post information you've heard about Malays

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LinckHillPoultry, Feb 24, 2008.

1. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hi again everyone. I have some red shouldered malays coming in March. I've heard they can get pretty ornary. I know what they're overall attitude is like, because I've read about them. Mine will be seperated from my other chickens.
    What I was wondering is, if anyone on this site has had experience with these birds?
    If so can you tell me what they're like? And can you post some pictures.
    And also what kind of setup did you have for them? I'm rebuilding a new coops and everything. I was wondering what dimensions you should have for the nesting box? Because I am going to hatch some babies from them when they grow up, and I know that they are tall and it would be hard for the hen to get into a normal sized laying box.

2. Stormhorse23

Stormhorse23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Indiana
    All ive heard is that the males are h*ll

3. CampineBuddy

CampineBuddy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2008
    yea all I know they are sopposed to be mean but they seem interesting.

<Carmen>

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have heard the males are nice to people but not with other males - so you gotta really separate them

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I second that, though I have no real hands-on experience. I only know what I've read about the breed. The females are supposedly more easily handled.

6. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    yeah. I ordered 2 males and 3 females. So as long as they all make it through shipment I'll have 2 3ft high malay roosters running around. Would I have to seperate those 2 males?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Most likely. I would play it by ear, so to speak. When/if they start getting aggressive I'd separate them. As long as they're chicks, they can be together. I think around 5 months of age is when you'll notice aggressiveness.

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Yes. males are likely to be aggressive and will probably need to be separated as adults. They are beautiful birds and my females are great layers and tenacious broodies.

9. LinckHillPoultry

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I was looking them up some today, and saw these pictures:

[​IMG]
    ^Fee Fi Fo Fum. I think it would be so neat to see him patrolling my yard! I'm so excited to get them!

[​IMG]
    ^This poor hen looks a little rough!

10. deeszoo

deeszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    I agree. They are beautiful and fascinating birds. A friend of mine has several different breeds of Oriental Games. You do have to treat them with respect. They are intelligent and will not behave well for you if you are not good to them. The males will need to be separated from each other and from all other roosters. Their instinct is to fight to the death, so they will not back down. Young roosters do okay at first.

Most people that I have seen keep them in pairs, or with stags in pens by themselves. They don't require a huge pen, and a movable one is great to keep them healthy and give them a chance to eat fresh greens and stuff.

Enjoy your birds! I have been thinking of getting some, myself.

DeAnna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by