Please Post pics of Gravity Feeders/Waterers

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cnjtnt, Dec 22, 2009.

1. cnjtnt

cnjtnt Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Federal Way, WA
    Wondering if people could post pictures of gravity feeders or waterers they've used and how successful they've been to keep the poop out and the feed/water in.

I guess this could also go under "feeding/watering your flock", but I thought it was more design related.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Waterer. Make it the height of their backs and they can get to it fine. The bucket is free from a grocery that has a deli or from a deli. Leave the lid on and cut a couple of small holes very near the top of the bucket where it will be below the level you want the water to be when it is inverted. I had to mark my lid and bucket so I could line the holes up. Hang something over it so they don't try to roost on it, which would knock it over or let them poop in it.

[​IMG]

3. bills

bills Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    vancouver island
    I have my waterer up from the ground about 6" sitting on top of a cat litter box, that I screwed some wood slats across the top, for the waterer to rest on. Any water that the hens may tend to slop simply drips into the litter tray, rather than on the hen house floor. I highly recommend this to prevent the floor litter getting wet. The top of my waterer is slightly sloped so they have never found it convenient as a roost. Sorry I don't have any picture of it, but hopefully you get my drift.[​IMG]

The feeder, I hang from a chain, about 12" off the floor. I believe this stops them from trying to scratch the food out, which would get mixed in the litter. The chain prevents them from trying to roost on it.
    [​IMG]

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

[​IMG]

White pipe is food black one is water.

Heres a close up of the waterier.
    [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    rebelcowboy you are one smart cookie. I'm impressed with your BYC page and I'm ready to give up chickens or eggs to know how your waterer works. Please share the details.

6. rebelcowboysnb

You turn off the valve at the bottom then open the top an fill it with water. Then seal the top an open the bottom valve back up. The elbow fills with water. Because there is a vacuum created at the top, the water in the elbow has to be drank down below the elbow to let more air in before it will let more water out.

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    so, is the big bar sticking out to the side what you use to turn the valve? where is the valve? can I just buy one at a plumbers store?

8. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    I use hog feeders.....

I use these small ones for my pheasants, and use one for oyster shells for the chickens:

[​IMG]

Then this big one (will hold over 100 pounds of feed) is the main feeder for the chickens/turkeys/geese/ducks/guineas.

I removed those bottom doors from it. I wish it was a shallower pan and wider, because it's not really the optimal shape for them all, but it works, and was cheaper than the only chicken feeder of this style that I could find. lol

[​IMG]

9. rebelcowboysnb

Quote:Yea, thats the valve just above the elbow with a turn handle. You can use a screw on cap on the bottom an do without the valve if you want. I just threw this togeather in the plumbing section of Lowes, brought it home an glued it up. The biggest thing is to get a removeable top cap that seals good. I did make a smaller cheeper one that had no valve or removeable top an you just lay it down to fill it.

[​IMG]

10. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I am making this! I think I will wait until spring and avoid the freeze issues, but this is exactly what I have been looking for. I hpe you don't mind me contacting you again in spring about this:rolleyes:
    I have the gravity feeders like yours but ended up using a Y instead of the curve at bottom - less issues with the feed clogging.
    What do you think of wrapping your tube waterers in heat tape for winter?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by