please post pics of magpies

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kevin565, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Thinking of getting more ducks.I like magpies. can someone post pictures and tell me how is their temperament.

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I have one hen - She was sweet as long as she was handled but I kinda let her grow up with the flock so she isnt very social. SHe is a sweet girl and lays large white eggs. She has big clutches - often trying to hatch out 16 - 18 at a time. And is successful. Great mama, heavier breed. She is very dependant on my Older drake, They are one of those weird couples where the drake has picked out his two fav females and sticks to them. She also gives me pretty babies, lol, even though they are mutts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    Here are a couple that hatched a couple weeks ago next to a pekin duckling
    [​IMG]

Here are a couple of my grown ups:
    [​IMG]

This is a blue who had been playing in the mud:
    [​IMG]

Mine seem to be pretty calm ducks that lay huge eggs.

4. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Mine were re-homed to another BYCer because I wanted to concentrate on my Runners, but they were a pretty nice pair (and hatched some nice ducklings, that also went to other homes). I sort of regretted giving them up because they were everyones' faves. Lots of 'Puddle duck' personality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I recommend them!

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Quote:What breeds of runners do you have? Do you sell hatching eggs?

6. L0rraine

L0rraine Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    Whidbey Island
    Quote:What breeds of runners do you have? Do you sell hatching eggs?

This will be the first year of breeding the Runners for me. I have a Blue pair and a Saxony pair from Holderreads (and a little blue Runner duck, who isn't quite as bottle shaped as the other four). I had the Saxony pair last Spring, but the Magpie drake kept finding his way into their pen (he was REALLY determined) and my one clutch of eggs from my Runner duck ended up being all half Magpie (thus my desire to re-home [​IMG]). I'll have to wait and see what kind of success I have with the first clutch of eggs to see if shipping eggs is ultimately worth it to the person on the other end. My Saxony drake is VERY tall and a quite ungainly and I'm not sure he's capable of 'doing is thing' reliably. If I do have a fairly successful hatch I'm guessing the Blue drake will have fathered most or all of the ducklings, but probably won't know more until April or so. It appears mating activity has begun in earnest, but last year it took a few months for my ducks to go broody. (I really should look into an incubator [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by