** please post pics of your breeding pens **

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OffGridMAMA, Jan 20, 2013.

1. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    Hoping to do some selective breeding within my flock this spring. Building 2 additional pens now, but want a few more :) please post pics of your breeding pens for ideas..

thanks!

2. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    This is my breeder pens set-up. It is 5 joined chain link dog kennels with a 3-sided pole type building we built around them. Of course I thought 5 would be plenty, now I want more!!! They could be divided in half, they are each 10 x 10, plenty large enough for the single matings I mostly do. There is bird netting over the chain link to keep out the wild birds (some still find their way in.......) and chicken wire from the top of the chain link to the roof of the building on all sides of the kennels for predator control and so the chickens don't fly over the top. The white panels between the pens are re-purposed election signs to stop the roos from seeing each other and fighting which they only do when they have a girl/girls. The one pen which looks a little hoky has plastic honey bee excluders all around it as I used it as a broody pen and the chicks would go right through the chain link holes. I had some young roos growing out in the next pen over and they killed one of the babies. The excluders were all I could come up with in a moments notice to keep the babies in. My grown roos love having the babies come and go, they cluck to them and drop them food out of their feeders, so cute!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I would like to see pics of different breeding pens, too! My friend and I are just starting a breeding program on her farm and need to build some pens!

4. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'd like to see pictures, too. I only need the breeding pens to be temporary, so small-ish and inexpensive to build are key. I have 3 Silver-Gray Dorking trios.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by