1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please post pics of your roo and hen Silkies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bee_wrangler, Nov 5, 2009.

1. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I am looking for pictures of roo and hen Silkies. I don't know how to tell roo's from hens (lol aside from eggs and crowing) so I figure some pictures should help. [​IMG]

2. Tonopah Pati

Tonopah Pati Rest in Peace 1938-2011

Mar 24, 2009
    Tonopah, Arizona
    I just got some new babies and one of them is a silkies. There was a post about how to tell if it is a rooster or not. The post said to look for stringers on the back of the head. The stringers are the little feathers sticking out behind and kind of hanging down. I looked at my baby and sure enough, he had the strings. I have a Roo. I don't have a close up photo yet. You can also look in the Breed section. There are some great pic. Good Luck.[​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]
    This is my deceased Silkie hen Bella (right).

[​IMG]
    This is my deceased Silkie roo Dominic.

4. bee_wrangler

bee_wrangler Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    I looked for stringers on mine but they all look about the same... Maybe mine are all hens or roo's. I do have one (my biggest one) that has more bare area on its face like Dominic, looks like its going to have the same comb grow in. Thanks for posting the pics M To The Maxx, beautiful looking Silkies I am sorry they are gone. And thanks for the advise on the stringers Tonopah Pati. [​IMG]

5. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    My silkies are 20 weeks old and they just now developed the Streamers on the back of the head. I also noticed first the "lion mane" growing in. They have not crowed yet. I know they are roosters because they try and breed my hens. They are to two buff colored ones. I also have a white and a cuckoo colored hens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Gray Roo Pancho is no longer with us, but I finally got a trap for that skunk. He's a goner this weekend!!!!
    [​IMG]

6. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    [​IMG]

the back one is the rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by