Please post pictures of where a predator went through chicken wire

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Barred Babies, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Not to sound morbid or gruesome or anything but does anyone have any pics of where a predator tore through the chicken wire?? Could you post them??

I know there are endless posts recommending not using it, and it's not good etc. and how people are always posting pics but I can't find any!

I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    thats funny you posted this. thats all i have for all my pens. never had a coon,possum or cayote even go through my 1 inch chicken wire, now bear maybe all bets off. i also go down a foot in the ground and out 2 ft. somebody personally ever had a coon possum or yote ever get in and not old rusty wire ?

3. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:My whole run it covered in nothing but chicken wire. I live in the country on 30 acres and we have everything out here. Not saying nothing is ever going to happen but would just like to see some pics. I read all the posts about not using chicken wire but then see where people use netting over the tops of the run. I think I'll take my chance with wire over cloth!!

4. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've heaard that raccoons tear through it like tissue paper.
    I've seen that exact effect on a rabbit cage.
    Plenty here can vouch for that, stay tuned....

5. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I use wire and had the neighbors dog tear through it and eat 5 pullets a few years back. Put up a hot wire for that and no pics. Still covered in 1 inch wire top and throughout.

6. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I heard the same thing on here numerous times! I hope someone can posts some pics!!

7. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    My next door neighbors great Pyrenees dog ate through mine. She didn't do any damage to the birds but a lot to my coop. They hot wired their fence after that and I reinforced my coop with welded wire. Sorry I don't have any pictures.....

8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I think its stronger then people give it credit for....I dont think a raccon can go through it...... i cant rip a hole through it and I at least have thumbs....If there are bears, wolves or large dog around though I would be worried...

9. Harris5

Harris5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Northern CA
    My husband built a beautiful run out of wood posts and chicken wire.....then the bear came in. I wish I would have taken pictures to post. I was too traumatized by all of the dead pullets to capture the moment. Seriously, a bear will lay down chicken wire and tear through it just for a tiny snack. Literally it snapped the wood posts in half and destroyed the entire thing like it was nothing. I replaced it with heavy duty chain link. FYY, bear will climb six foot chain link as well, so we now cover ours. If you search just the word bear on BYC you should find some pictures.

10. Barred Babies

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Coons, coyote, fox & hawks around here but no bears!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by