1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please post silkie pics and large fowl cochin pics from ideal

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roocrazy, Dec 25, 2009.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    please i want to see their quality [​IMG]

2. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    anyone [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These White Silkies came from Ideal.

4. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Click on the link for my website. It will take you to my photobucket site. Lots of pics of both....

Ooops forgot to add they aren't from Ideal though. Silkies are Premier, Bobbi Porto, Alan Stanford, and Mihalik lines. Cochins came from Rick Klehr and Duane Urch.

I do have silkie chicks coming out of the incubator weekly. I will be making my first round of cuts just in time for the first swap in February. The cochins are not laying at this time, but will only set those eggs if I have guaranteed buyers on them. Let me know if you are interested in any.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:LOL ... Destiny well that's one way to IMMEDIATELY teach the difference between a breeder's quality birds and hatchery stuff. You have some terrific birds.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Silkies, Cochins and every other breed you can mention if they come from Ideal, Mcmurray, Welp, you name the hatchery are all going to have a very similar look. They are going to look like (you name the breed) they came from a hatchery. I would challenge any one to be able to identify one hatchery strain from another.

I don't know this to be a fact, but it would make a lot of sense to me if many of the hatcheries rely on the same breeding stock for the more exotic breeds.

If want to use (name the breed) and the word quality in the same sentence take the large hatchery out of the equation. If you want birds that look roughly like a Cochin call Ideal or any number of others and you will get a nice bird that most folks could identify as a Cochin but has little to do with the standard in terms of quality.

I don't understand why anyone would use any of these hatcheries if quality even comes into the question

Just saying

7. destiny_56085

destiny_56085 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Sleepy Eye, MN
    Well said greathorse! Funny thing is that roocrazy only lives about an hour...maybe 1.5 hours away from me. I've given him the dates for the shows in the past and I even had silkies for sale at one of the swaps in his hometown. One of those shows was a ASBC State meet and the NSBA Western Nationals. Perfect place to get to know breeders and get good quality stock. He is still insistent on buying from a hatchery to get 'quality' birds.

btw boo... I have a list of swap dates on www.bcppa.com and will update when I get additions. Some of the breeders show up at those and you will find some youngsters for showing this year.

8. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Check the link to my website and look under "our chickens" - there is a picture of a LF blue cochin girl from ideal.

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:JMO there is no way to buy "Silkies" from a hatchery and get "Show Quality" birds. But, it could be an issue of the price difference. Good Silkies are expensive. But, if the OP is just wanting nice pets then a hatchery would be okay.

I personally prefer non Hatchery Silkies, however, I have seen some very nice birds of other breeds from hatcheries. But, everyone needs and likes are different.

I am going to add some more to my flock this spring. Hopefully some Lav's and Buff's. I am def. going to add some more blacks and splash.

You have beautiful birds and I am sure that the Op would be very happy with your birds if he would buy some of them. [​IMG]

10. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    Quote:Acually destiny(amy) those pics were for my cousin because she wants to have a few for a very small county fair! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by