Please post your dressed weight stats

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by balticbabe, Aug 20, 2008.

1. balticbabe

balticbabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    King County, WA
    My SO harvested our two boys Monday. Their crowing was driving me crazy and any complaints would mean the whole flock would have to go. Now that they are gone I miss them. I know they would have eaten me if given the chance, I could tell by the way they looked at me, so I’m trying not to feel bad. Plus the girls seem to be more relaxed now.

What I’m interested in finding out is your experience with the dressed birds. Ours were both around 17-18 weeks. The Favorelle looked like the bigger bird but he netted just 4lb 5/8oz and most of that was bone. The RIR looked smaller and was likely a few days younger. He dressed to 4lbs 1 1/8oz and was much meatier, smaller bones. Both were on 18% chick starter. The RIR liked healthy treats:, BOSS, weeds, snail and veggies while the Favorelle only ate his crumble.

I’d like to read other experiences. I wonder how much the breed makes the difference vs. what they ate. And to find any other factors that affect net weight.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not sure it will help at all, but the 15 wk old buff chantecler cockerel we had for dinner tonight dressed out at 2 lbs 4 oz (that's skinless weight without giblets, so, maybe add a bit for them, I dunno?).

It was enough meat for a comfortable meal for 2 adults and 2 ravenous small children, but certainly none left over. Well, the ravenous small children wanted more than was available, but only b/c they are such bottomless pits.

I realize that is probably pathetically small, but he was just on regular ol' 16% (?) grower. I am fairly certain that any of our speckled sussexes, even the hens, would dress out as large or (roos) significantly larger than this chantecler, too. But I want more sussexes next year so I guess I'd best not find out right now [​IMG]

Pat

3. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    We butchered 23 or 24 roos that were 14-15 weeks, plus 1 closer to 17 weeks.

Without giblets they ranged from 2.5 to 4 pounds, most being a little over 3. They ate a 20% feed and ranged.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, at 20 weeks, my extra leghorns roos dressed out at a whopping 2.5-3 lbs each including head, neck, gizzard, heart, liver, and feet.

The mixed "dual breeds" usually come out to about 4-4.5 lbs at 16-20 weeks.

Those are all for soup or where small pieces of meat are diced up and not presented whole.

Cornish x meaties at 9 weeks, were 6 lbs each and they were female.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by