Please post your run pics!! Looking for inspiration!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ears73, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Hi all,

Husband and I have a coop that is almost done - siding is going on, etc. We are contemplating too many ideas for an attached run!

Can you guys post your pics of outdoor runs please?? I have been searching through tons of threads and found a bunch, but my eyes and fingers are worn out!

Our coop is at cooping-it.blogspot.com

Thanks so very very much!!!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    here's mine

[​IMG]

3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    What a great looking Coop/Run! Very inspiring!

We are still in the design phase of ours. We have converted an old 8x12 tool shed and we plan to inclose our run, but I'm a bit concerned with how big our run will be.

My husband understands the footage each bird needs, and we have kicked around the idea of providing mid-day shade. He has it all in his head and I cannot grasp his concept when he talks about the design...

I think I will keep this one and see if his idea is along the lines of this.

Thanks for sharing!

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well in Texas, you really have to take the sun into consideration, and try to provide as much shade as possible. I use shade cloth I buy at Lowe's. Good luck!

5. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    That setup is gorgeous Seminolewind.

6. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    Quote:I saw that at Lowe's and Walmart too. The run will have shade from morning until about 1:00PM. After that, the shade does not creep back in until about 4:00PM. Between 1:00 & 4:00 the coop will be in direct sunlight and with our heat, I'm a bit worried.

DH is building the coop to be well insulated, but I still worry about the June/Jul/Aug/Sept afternoon heat. Someone gave us advise about putting a bathroom fan in the coop and some box fans. I'm wondering if that will do the trick.

The coop will have two very good size front windows and a row of windows along the back wall that will help with cross ventilation (sp?)

I'm thinking of advising my husband to put some sort of shade device that will not take away from the look of the coop's front or maybe some sort of shade area at the other end of the run...

We are still in the planning stages, but any advise will be greatly appreciated.

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a small covered run we roofed in grey tinted polycarbonate. It lets in filtered sunlight, so my girls don't get blasted in the heat of the day. They can also gather beneath the coop for even more shade. (When the girls are out in the big yard there are plenty of holes and shady bushes to hide in.)

You are welcome to check out pix of our small suburban setup here:

http://theworldofjenotopia.com/cmsjoomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=63&Itemid=27

This month we shaded things even more with a camo hunting gear cover from Cabela's. We installed a small fan taken from an old computer to suck hot air from the coop ceiling and push it outside. We also have a 10 x 12" vent on the opposite side of the coop for a good cross breeze.

Sounds like there are already a lot of great ideas out there! Nice work!

Jen in TN

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have 2 large fans running in my coop. They hang on the screen door on the shady side. The coop still gets up to 95 degrees

9. Godiva

Godiva Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Our coop has a lot of air movement but here in SC it gets awful hot and humid so we have a high velocity floor fan in the window that draws 'cooler' air from the forest side and blows it into the coop. Then we have a box fan in a window on the opposite side of the coop (sunny side) that blows the air out. We are stuck with no runs at the moment!!!!! so each pen of chickens has their own fan to lie in front of. We need more insulating esp on the roof and we really need shade from that beastly late afternoon sun! Am going to plant a tulip tree there in the next few days I hope (once I have got over my cold) that will hopefully be able to shade the coop beautifully eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by