1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please pray for a Christmas miracle!Update on Sammy

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by birdnutz, Dec 16, 2008.

1. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Rushed my macaw Sammy to Colorado State University today. She started acting off about 4 days ago. Doesn't look good. She has a systematic infection that they are having a hard time identifying. Her kidneys are shutting down. The vet stated that if they can identify it she might have a 5% chance and that we could wish for a miracle. He's running 1 more battery of tests this afternoon and will let me know this evening.
    I lost all of my parrots last year due to a house fire and now this. It's just tearing me up inside. I so want to try for the miracle but I don't want her to suffer either.
    I came home without her and now Zeus her male macaw friend keeps calling for her. He's been quiet all day until I came home. Hows this going to affect him also?
    Please pray for a Christmas miracle for Sammy.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    ok I will pray..

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    You're in my thoughts [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    aww!..you guys are in my thoughts!...[​IMG]..i hope he pulls through.

5. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm so sorry to hear of Sammy's issues; I have birds of my own and have recently lost a 20 yr. old conure that took a piece of my heart with him, so I can somewhat identify with how much you must be worried and hurting right now. I know God cares about our creatures we love, and have prayed many times for our own critters and their many crises; you & Sammy & Zeus are in my thoughts and prayers. [​IMG]

6. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Sammy just came to us a year and half ago. We rescued her from very bad birdie parents. She was living in filth and never taken out of her cage and had a case of severe plucking. These people were her 2nd parents. The first ones damaged her eye by beating her with a broom. To say the least she hated women. But I'd gotten to where I could give her scriches on her neck. Boy does she love the attenion of men! A true female thats for sure.LOL I'm just having a hard time trying to figure out where the justice is in this.
    Me and Sammy thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i will be in prayer also! God bless Sammy! [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:Unfortunately, there IS no justice in this. I hope and pray that Sammy does make it. However, if she does not, the bottom line is this: you were put in a position to make a difference in the life of this bird. For whatever time she has with you, she has known genuine love, care, and effort put toward her emotional and physical healing and well-being. Know that you have made a forever difference by giving of yourself.

9. birdnutz

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Just heard from the vet. Sammy either has enlarged kidneys or a mass growing on them. Waiting on 2 more tests that will be done in the morning. 1- blood and 1- feces. They're going to let her rest tonorrow and do a ultrasound Thursday morning. He would like to do a endoscope but can't because of the fluid in her tummy. Sounds bad,but it's still better than what I recieved earlier from him. If it's a growth he's going to try and autopsy it. May be able to remove it. He's doing supportive care right now. Intravenious fluids and he tube fed her.
    She does have papillomatosis virus from who knows where. He originally thought that was the cause. Now he's not so certain. But it still is in the back of his mind.
    I will update as soon as I hear anything.
    Thank you cntrlovr for your kind words. I've loved birds forever now. Thought about becoming a rescue. Now I'm not sure that I could handle the heart break of this.

10. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Ahh I hope she pulls through for you.....any updates?

I think it is a fab idea to become a "rescue"...yes there are times when it is heartbreaking, but think of the good you can do......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by